Filling A Cake With A Soft Center

Decorating By Declansmama Updated 15 Jul 2012 , 6:19pm by pippilotta

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 4:20am
post #1 of 6

I was wondering how do you go about filling a cake with a "Soft" center filling. I maked a carrot cake with a soft cream cheese icing and when I covered it in fondant the cake seemed to squish the filling out a little..even with the dam...and the cake was no longer a good shape. So, I was wondering how exactly you fill a cake with something like cherry filling or cream cheese icing. Oh, and can you use a pudding for a filling ? I had a person ask me. Thanks

5 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 6:31am
post #2 of 6

Did you use the same frosting for the dam as you did for the filling? If the frosting you used for the dam was not a firm frosting, this could be your problem.

I know some that have used pudding as a filling, but I've personally never tried it.

Declansmama Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for your reply, I can't remember what I used for the dam but I will be sure to use a stiff icing time. I was just afraid to have the cake "Squish out" and be at a loss again as to what to do. I have just been using buttercream to be safe but wanted other options. Thanks again

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 6

You can stiffen the cream cheese icing that goes between the layers. Have your cakes ready before you mix this up.

Beat in 2 tablespoons of the powdered instant cheesecake mix to your icing for each cup of icing. IMMEDIATELY fill all the layers. This will not change the flavour, but adding the mix will stiffen your filling enough to prevent it squishing out.

DO NOT use this stiffened icing for covering the cake, it will make problems.

I use either Jello brand or the bulk pack in Canada which is the same stuff.

Declansmama Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 6

I will have to try that one icon_smile.gif Does the cake have to be refrigerated then?

pippilotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pippilotta Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

Hi,
I often fill my cakes with very soft fillings like whipped cream with fruits and don't like a thick damn with sweet, stiff icing.
I cut a ring out of cake and fill the cake IN the ring icon_smile.gif
On my blog is a tutorial for this methode:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftortentante.blogspot.de%2F2009%2F08%2Fanleitung-eine-sahnetorte.html&langpair=auto|en&hl=en
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%