Ready To Pipe Metallic Gold Royal Icing

Decorating By nubian Updated 12 Jul 2012 , 2:08pm by Pearl645

nubian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nubian Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 3:57am
post #1 of 7

hey guys,
i have some piping to do ,cornelli lace, i need it to be metallic gold, is there any way i could get the royal icing metallic gold before piping?

6 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 6:12am
post #2 of 7

I have never found one, just the old fashioned paint it afterwards, will keep my eyes on the thread to see if anyone has any ideas.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 6:30am
post #3 of 7

There is a way!!!
I just don't know it icon_biggrin.gif
BUT: www.craftsy.com has cake decorating tutorials out now.... and there is one now available all about modern piping, and it teaches you how to pipe METALC!

I don't have the tute yet, just Marina Souza's... and gotta say: I love it!
Tasha

CakesByRashmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByRashmi Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 10:42am
post #4 of 7

Try piping gel mixed with lustre dust. If the gel gets too thick, you can thin it down with some vodka or decorators alcohol. Works fantastic....

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 7

There is a new product called - Pipe Don't Paint - its essentially a gel type of product that you add gold lustre dust too and then pipe with it - it shrinks a little

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.355574987820941.85601.323404174371356&type=1

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 7

You could try a very small portion of royal icing with the edible dust mixed in. Keep your icing on the soft side when you are adding the sugar to the egg white, because the dust will dry it a little, but you need soft icing anyway for piping. Mix in as much dust as you think, and then a little more.

This "pipe don't paint" stuff will not look as shiny as a really heavy painting job, you should have a dry sample to show customers so that they are aware that your piped gold will not look like 24karat metal...

Thanks fort asking--the links that come out of questions are good for us all to look at and learn from.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubian

hey guys,
i have some piping to do ,cornelli lace, i need it to be metallic gold, is there any way i could get the royal icing metallic gold before piping?

Surprised no one pointed to you to the most saved recipes here! There is a recipe called piping gold or silver. I have been using it ever since I found it and it is amazing. I use "gold highlighter" as the shade of gold because it is most vibrant. Use the recipe as is. One drop of vodka at a time until u get a nice consistency to pipe with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%