Help With Structural Support For Bottom Of Sphere Cake

Decorating By bluesugar Updated 13 Jul 2012 , 12:41am by bluesugar

bluesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluesugar Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 3:48am
post #1 of 3

I am trying to make a very large baseball cake using only cake. I used 4 quart bowls. I am wondering if I can indeed make the bottom out of cake or if I'll need to use styrofoam for the bottom instead. I was planning on supporting the top but the bottom, once turned upside down has cracked. I used a sturdy pound cake so changing the type of cake likely won't help. I was wondering if I sliced the half sphere into 2 inch thick pieces, if I could manage to use dowels and cake boards between each layer and have it hold itself up.

I don't really want to go through all the trouble of doing that if it will just fall apart anyway. Do you think that would end up too difficult to cut anyway?

Any help, suggestions, or insight would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 3

You need to slice the entire ball into 2" slices and add dowels and cardboard circles into each slice. For the 4 quart bowl, you can use drinking straws of the heavier bubble tea size.

Sorry but that is the only way to keep this cake together. But the cardboard makes it easier to slice and serve...you cut down as far as each board, serve that part, toss the board, and then keep going.

FYI the ball pan sold by Wilton is the largest that works without this internal structure.

bluesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluesugar Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 12:41am
post #3 of 3

Thank you very much! I'll slice it and put in cake boards and dowels. That was what I planned to do but had an "uh oh what if this doesn't work out" moment and didn't want to waste my time. I flipped the one half cake upside down only very briefly while I was wrapping it to place in the freezer and it instantly cracked. In hind sight, I should have just wrapped it to a board or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%