Stacked Cake Question

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 12 Jul 2012 , 9:04pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 5

I am getting ready to assemble a two tier stacked cake and one of the layers edges broke off slightly one one side. Is it ok to use for the bottom layer of the cake or should I use it for the top layer since a partial edge is missing. I wasn't sure if it would make the cake less stable if I used it for the bottom. Don't want to end up on cake wrecks but I don't have time to bake another layer. The top tier will be a 7" cake. Thank you to anyone that responds.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 5

Of course it depends on how big the missing piece is. If
it's very small, then there should not be a problem using the layer and just fill in w/extra icing. It should not cause the tier to be unstable.
Do you still have the piece that broke off? Usually if it small it can be 'glued' back on with icing.
Or maybe you can cover that part with flowers or other decoration to hide the mishap so you can still use the tier.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 12:32am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Is it ok to use for the bottom layer of the cake or should I use it for the top layer since a partial edge is missing.

I'd use it for the bottom layer. With the broken piece attached internally (between the layers), you're less likely to get loose crumbs on the top surface of the cake while icing.

sweettreat101 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 2:16am
post #4 of 5

Thank you ladies. It's a small piece around the top edge. I do have the pieces but they are not really thick enough to attach. I guess I could use butter cream and spackle it on. I will use it for the bottom. Thank you for your help.

sweettreat101 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you Thank you Thank you the cake turned out fine an made it to the party in one piece.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%