Bulk Cake Mix

Business By ibeeflower Updated 15 Jul 2012 , 4:23pm by inspiredbymom

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 14

In my area every single bakery I have tried (over the years has been many) has had the same white cake. The frosting has some differences but what sticks out to me is the bread portion. I was in my local cake supply store this past weekend when I saw huge sacks of Pillsbury White cake mix. Do bakeries use this? I bake from home and use scratch only but it's difficult to replicate that same bread. So for those that have bakeries do you use this?

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 14

...... saw huge sacks of Pillsbury White cake mix. Do bakeries use this?........

Some do some don't. This i s a "Hot button" subject.
Many bakers think it is awful to use mixes but I build a bakery on using them.....for over 30 yrs.

ibeeflower Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

...... saw huge sacks of Pillsbury White cake mix. Do bakeries use this?........

Some do some don't. This i s a "Hot button" subject.
Many bakers think it is awful to use mixes but I build a bakery on using them.....for over 30 yrs.

Thank you for your honest Kakeladi. I do not judge you for this. I like white cakes from local bakeries so if they are using cake mixes then I'm not against that. I would like to replicate it but haven't found the right recipe or combination yet. I was just wondering if this is how all of them have this fluffy white cake. icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 14

I do also, because before I opened up my bakery I used cake box mixes from the local supermarket.

In opening my business I learned from the local supplier that the difference between the bulk and small box mixes was only the packaging and quantity. Same brand same product.

The good news is that we have all learned to doctor the mixes to get our personal flavors. Since I have begun to use WASC my customers think my new recipe is the best.

kakeladi Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 14

.........Since I have begun to use WASC my customers think my new recipe is the best. .....

this puts a BIG smile on my face icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 14

I too use bulk mixes...More economical...too expensive to bake scratch unless I am doing a 3D cake and then I use scratch pound and chocolate pound cakes...

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 6:52am
post #7 of 14

There is a major difference between the store bought mixes and the bulk mixes. The first difference is that there are no eggs to crack! icon_smile.gif The bulk mixes also have a sturdier crumb....important for large tiers and stacking. Also, when you are doing high volume, the bulk mixes are fast and easy...no opening small boxes, no cracking of eggs, and measuring by pounds and ounces....MUCH easier. Bulk mixes can also carry the weight of added ingredients to make various flavors...store mixes can not.

ibeeflower Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 14

Classiccake: Wow, I had no idea! I'd love to buy a bulk mix but I don't make a lot of cakes so it wouldn't be cost effective. But it is good to know that the bulk mix yields a study stackable cake. Thanks everyone!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 14

Where do y ou get your bulk mixes from?

classiccake Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 14

The 50 poung bags have the best formula I think They are at bakery supply places or food distributors like Sysco Foods.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 14

I just found out that my favorite go to box mix, Pillsbury, is going to the reformulated mix and a smaller box. icon_sad.gif I saw this posting a while back because I go through so much white that I was looking into bulk. However, I was concerned because of the crumb. I have had such good luck with our white cake being soft and so moist that I was afraid to change. Now, it will not matter because it will not be the same anyway. So here goes my stupid questions, do they offer a smaller box so I could try it before I make space for a 50 # bag? Do they give you a breakdown on how to make small batches, like a box size? Budgets being what they are, I just don't want to waist a lot of money on another failed cake adventure.

kakeladi Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 14

I have seen 5 (or maybe it's 7) pound box mixes in some stores - like Smart & Final or maybe Sam's club - don't remember now. I thin k you might also find them from a bakery supplier like RobRoss.

classiccake Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:38am
post #13 of 14

The 50 lb bags can be bakes in any quantity. The ratio is one pound of mix to 10 oz. of water and two ounces of oil.
For instance, for a 9" round 2 layer cake, it is 2 pounds of mix, 20 oz. of water, and 4 oz. of oil. Again, the boxes are not the same as the 50# bags.

Find the Pillsbury rep for you state, and he/she might send you a sample of the mix.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 14

I will try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%