Wedding Cake In Fridge Or Left Out?

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 10 Jul 2012 , 10:00pm by kakeladi

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 4

I normally put all my cakes I make in the fridge... This weekend I have my first wedding cake to do and I am wondering if I should put it in the fridge like I normally do my cakes or leave it out?? I have noticed that when the cakes come out of the fridge they get little water droplets on them, like the cake is sweating sort of from going from cold to hot. I am wondering if that will make any of the colors bleed??

And insight would be GREAT!!

I am using this buttercream recipe..
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/crusting-buttercream-icing-viva-method

3 replies
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 4

Hmm..I don't and wouldn't recommend that you put any of cakes in the fridge. Always cling wrap your cakes many times and put in the freezer. I tested putting cake and cupcakes in the fridge and it dried out and got hard and heavy even after brought back down to room temperature. Just didn't taste like great cake. Best to put your cakes in airtight cake boxes and cling wrap the box and put in your freezer and take out the morning of the wedding and let thaw inside the cling wrapped box. There was a post on this recently with some good advice. If I need to, I always freeze cakes.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 4

I think BlakesCakes was the one who had good advice on how to prepare your cake for freezing up until wedding day. Check her forum posts and see.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 4

If you are keeping the cake in the frig just to keep it cool yes you will have sweating problems in this weather. There are several things to do 1) to prevent & 2) to fix
1) put cake tiers in cake boxes, then into plastic bags before placing in frig; when you remove, keep wrapped for at least 1 hour until it comes to room temp.
2) don't really need to frig cake unless it has filling that must be kept cold. If cake does sweat - DO NOT touch it in any way, shape or form icon_smile.gif Allow to come to room temp normally and the sweating will evaporate - usually within an hour or so.
As for possible running of colors.....if the icing has been mixed up for a while - at least overnight - there is less chance of that. Freshly colored icing tends to run easier.
Refere to point #1.....keep in box that is wrapped in plastic to prevent most, if no all, sweating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%