Navy Fondant Help Please!!

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 13 Jul 2012 , 9:23am by sweettreat101

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 16

I have to make navy fondant next week and when I've added navy americolor to my white Satin Ice, I find it rips and tears and looks like elephant skin.

What should I do to make it navy without having the side effects of adding the color?

Can I buy pre-colored navy fondant? What brand makes it? I usually but pre-colored fondant so I don't have this headache...

Feeling a little stressed!

15 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 16

Try working some Crisco into the colored fondant and see if that helps. I only use fondant for decor, but I have made navy and had no problems...but then I use Wilton. Perhaps you need to use a different fondant...but try the Crisco first.

SugarMama5 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Try working some Crisco into the colored fondant and see if that helps. I only use fondant for decor, but I have made navy and had no problems...but then I use Wilton. Perhaps you need to use a different fondant...but try the Crisco first.

If I'm using for embellishments, it's totally ok bc they are never that big and they keep their shape, etc ok. It's only when I try to cover a cake with the super colored fondant...

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 16

Satin ice Color Chart
Navy is made by mixing the following

2 parts blue
1 part pink
1 part black

Color chart can be found at
http://www.rolledfondant.com/color.php

SugarMama5 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 16

That's a helpful chart! Thanks for sending that along... I'll def use that at some point!

What I really need are any tips as to what to do to my fondant after mixing in larger amounts of Americolor/color pastes/gel so that I can get the consistency of the fondant back to what it started out as... so I don't end up with rips, tears, stretching or elephant skin...

I did find some Navy Choco-Pan fondant online at golda's kitchen. Has anyone tried that fondant before? Does it taste OK & is it nice to work with?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama5

That's a helpful chart! Thanks for sending that along... I'll def use that at some point!

What I really need are any tips as to what to do to my fondant after mixing in larger amounts of Americolor/color pastes/gel so that I can get the consistency of the fondant back to what it started out as... so I don't end up with rips, tears, stretching or elephant skin...

I did find some Navy Choco-Pan fondant online at golda's kitchen. Has anyone tried that fondant before? Does it taste OK & is it nice to work with?

That's what I meant by using the Crisco. I usually mix my color with the fondant then grab some Crisco and work it all in together, stretching and pulling it. I have no problems when it's rolled out. But again...I don't cover my cakes with fondant so I don't know if that would work on a large scale basis.

I've had Coco pan fondant before and it tastes good. Don't know about the navy, but if it would help you, ,you might as well try it!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 16

If you are using Americolor gel:
If rolled fondant is to soft a consistency, knead in sifted powdered sugar

Using the liquid gel will make the fondant soft and sort of wet.

What you describe is opposite.

I think you may ne taking too long to mix in your color. Fondant has a limited time to be out in the air and played with. Is it possible you're over working it in the air.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 12:07am
post #8 of 16

Sugarmama-I have tried Choco Pan and like it. It tastes like white chocolate. It is very soft though, but I found it easy to work with.

Good luck!!

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 12:48am
post #9 of 16

I would be interested in knowing as well...It seems all my darker colors do this same thing...red, black and navy. I think adding all that color does indeed change the consistency of the fondant no matter what brand. I have worked in shortening and even did powdered sugar on another occasion and honestly never had any luck. It's just been one of those inevitable situations in my book unless someone can change that.

SugarMama5 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 4:43am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerzJoy

I would be interested in knowing as well...It seems all my darker colors do this same thing...red, black and navy. I think adding all that color does indeed change the consistency of the fondant no matter what brand. I have worked in shortening and even did powdered sugar on another occasion and honestly never had any luck. It's just been one of those inevitable situations in my book unless someone can change that.

I know, I feel the same way. I do know that I can color my gumpaste to very deep colors and if I add cornstarch to it I can bring it back to the right consistency. Not sure if I add that to fondant if it'll behave properly. I just cringe thinking about trying it... It's so much work to have it not work!!! I ordered the navy Choco-pan, its good to know it tastes ok. Hopefully it'll be easy enough to work with. I wonder if I'll have to do anything different with it when rolling it out and covering cthe cake??

SugarMama5 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 16

I emailed Satin Ice yesterday about coloring the fondant and this was their response:

"Morning Melissa,

If you go to our website we have a color mixing guide. It will show you how to make navy by mixing our colors together. We have two navys so you would need to decide.

One is~ 2 parts blue Satin Ice, 1 part pink Satin Ice and 1 part black Satin Ice. This is a vibrant navy.
We also have a muddled navy which is 6 parts blue and 1 part red.

It is really hard to achieve navy, black or red on your own using color gel. You can try adding Tylose or glycerin but I cannot guarantee results.

Good luckkeep me posted how it turns out." ~Satin Ice rep

Not much help regarding WHAT to do the fondant once color is achieved. I think I'll just buy navy Choco-Pan from here on... no point getting old coloring fondant! icon_wink.gif Unless someone has a fool proof trick to get the fondant to go back to the proper consistency...

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 16

If you need to make really color-saturated fondant and all you have is gel color, it's best of you make it a few days in advance. Add your color and if it's really sticky when you are done, add in powdered sugar like previously suggested. Then tightly wrap it in plastic and leave it alone for at least a few hours hours, but a few days is better.

But to get better results use powdered food color. Mix some powdered color with everclear to activate the color (to about the consistency of medium consistency royal icing) then add that to your fondant. It will be sticky at first but the everclear will evaporate out and it won't change the consistency of your fondant at all. Once you get the color you want you still want to let it rest for a few hours.

Good luck!

bitabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitabread Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 16

I agree with FromScratchSF. To get a very good color "dark" in the fondant it's better if you let it sit over night tightly wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. Also, to get it back to the consistency you want it you can try adding a little bit of tylose powder.

SugarMama5 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:23pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

If you need to make really color-saturated fondant and all you have is gel color, it's best of you make it a few days in advance. Add your color and if it's really sticky when you are done, add in powdered sugar like previously suggested. Then tightly wrap it in plastic and leave it alone for at least a few hours hours, but a few days is better.

But to get better results use powdered food color. Mix some powdered color with everclear to activate the color (to about the consistency of medium consistency royal icing) then add that to your fondant. It will be sticky at first but the everclear will evaporate out and it won't change the consistency of your fondant at all. Once you get the color you want you still want to let it rest for a few hours.

Good luck!

What's everclear? And where can I buy powdered color online?

Great tips bitabread and FromScratchSF! Thanks for the tips! icon_smile.gif

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 16

The only Everclear I've ever heard of is, for all intents and purposes, 190-proof vodka.

Somehow, I don't think that's what we're discussing here.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 9:23am
post #16 of 16

I was going to suggest powdered color too. Fondant source sells it cheap. Everclear is alcohol. You just use enough to dilute the powder to make it wet to activate the color. The alcohol dries quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%