New (For Me) Permit Required By My Hd (Ca)

Business By FromScratchSF Updated 9 Jul 2012 , 8:27pm by FromScratchSF

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 5

Just wondering, we had a HD inspection last week at my commissary and I passed with flying colors - except they let me know that I now have to obtain a Caterer's Permit thru my county (San Francisco). I called the HD this morning and spoke to a supervisor, it makes no sense to me why I need this permit since I'm not a caterer, I don't cook food on site, I don't do anything of the stuff on this form. I was given the reason that the State 2 years ago mandated the counties change their policies for commercial kitchen renters that instead of the renters working under the permit of the facility, they need to create a new lesser permit for each renter.

Stuff that sucks:
I need to get the manager's safeserv now (instead of the cheepie food handler's permit)
I have to pay an application fee
I have to pay a yearly permit fee

So I was wondering if other people that rent commercial kitchen space in California have already been required to have some sort of caterer's permit (other then the standard business license)? Maybe we have been slow to have this requirement. I'm irritated because they gave me a whole 2 weeks to get a laundry list of stuff together for this permit, but I'll do whatever I need to do.

Another question, I was hoping to just do the online manager's safeserv but it looks like its just a class - not a test. Am I reading this correct that I have to go somewhere *in person* to take this test?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 5

RE: Safeserv - I just called and got my answer. Bummer. Sigh.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 5

In Santa Clara County we were always operating under our own permit (separate from the commercial kitchen's permit) classified as a caterer, I just checked the SCC DEH permit list and it looks like they recently amended the caterers permit to say "caterer/kitchen rental".

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 5

I work out of Alameda Co and have a caterer's permit ($250), it's way cheaper than reg bakery permit. Hopefully SF is similar. Santa Clara Co I believe is around $750, no discount for "caterer"

I got my food safety cert from Premier Food Safety. I took the class in the morning and they give you test in afternoon. Easy!

Good Luck.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 5

OK I guess it's my HD that is just starting this. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%