Tiered Cake Boxes.......????

Decorating By Cranny Updated 9 Jul 2014 , 10:51am by CakeMonster14

Cranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cranny Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 12:40am
post #1 of 27

What do you all use to transport tiered cakes?

The standard cake boxes just don't have the height. Usually I'm doing a 2 tiered cake, and have been using regular card board boxes that I find at the grocery store. Do they make a cake box for tiered cakes?

I received a comment from a client that the cake 'smelled like the box'. 1st time I had heard that one, but don't want it to happen again.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

26 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 1:20am
post #2 of 27

A Cake To Remember made a wonderful video about preparing the boxes she uses to deliver stacked cakes:

------------------------------

For smaller cakes that are not really tall, you can purchase brand new Sterilite or Rubbermaid containers that are in the 58-76 quart size. When turned upside down, the original lid becomes the bottom, and the container part becomes the "domed lid".

Turn them upside down, remove the "tall, domed lid". Put rubberized shelf liner on the "bottom". Put your cake on the rubberized shelf liner. Put on the "tall, domed, lid". Carry VERY carefully, and support the bottom with your hands!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 1:25am
post #3 of 27

I use a regular box, but tape the lid up so it doesn't touch my cake and then tape saran wrap over the opening. I haven't had a problem yet.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 2:06am
post #4 of 27

I rarely used boxes for anything other than birthday cakes. I used sheet pans in the car for tiered cakes--separate tiers.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 2:25am
post #5 of 27
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 3:07am
post #6 of 27

I don,t box my tiered cakes. i sat each tier on non skid mat. This is also on thick egg crate foam on top of another nice thick firm foam. All this , protects my cakes.hth

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 6:44am
post #7 of 27

I use boxes from disposable nappies - I have 50 thousand of them lying around. I tape two together to make whatever height is needed. If I was doing cakes professionally, though, I'd use something else.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 10:34am
post #8 of 27

For anyone in Aus looking for a really good box supply place that does a box specifically for tiered cakes, you could try this place:

http://www.packagingplace.com.au/boxes/cake-boxes/cbhd458-458-305-tiered-cake-box

I bought this box and loved it - perfect for transporting cakes of two or three tiers.

kanderson27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanderson27 Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 9:59am
post #9 of 27

AIn the US the best place to get boxes is through Bakeabox.com. They make tier cake boxes for 3 and 4 layers and bigger if needed.

emilysikes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilysikes Posted 21 May 2013 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 27

I have the same problem, and it sounds like many other bakers do too! I've submitted an idea on Quirky.com and would love to hear your comments and suggestions. Vote and comment here, and we can make this product a reality!

http://www.quirky.com/ideations/500270

Thank you!

Emily

--

The Cake Mom & Co.

www.thecakemom.com

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 22 May 2013 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 27

Emily, look at this site.  These are the kind of boxes that look like a professional delivery box.  Much better looking IMHO than a plastic top.

http://bakeabox.com/cake-boxes/

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 22 May 2013 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 27

I love the bake-a-box tiered boxes, but have also decided that if brown shipping boxes are good enough for RBI, then its good enough for me icon_biggrin.gif

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151905716743574&set=pb.111752518573.-2207520000.1369257895.&type=3&theater

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 May 2013 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 27

Yep! I use both. And it's so easy when you grasp the concept of closing one end of the box, and turning the box on it's side to slide the cake into. Bam! Done!

emilysikes Posted 23 May 2013 , 1:29am
post #14 of 27

AThanks! I have seen those and they are a great option. I guess I'm looking for something that could be more durable (reusable) for those cakes that I deliver and set up on site, sometimes when the client isn't even there. I hate "wasting" the boxes.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:02am
post #15 of 27

AHello! The Walmart boxes are like 65 cents a piece. I don't consider it a waste. Often the client finds other uses for it.

Original message sent by lorieleann

I love the bake-a-box tiered boxes, but have also decided that if brown shipping boxes are good enough for RBI, then its good enough for me :D . 

[URL=https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151905716743574&set=pb.111752518573.-2207520000.1369257895.&type=3&theater]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151905716743574&set=pb.111752518573.-2207520000.1369257895.&type=3&theater[/URL]

emilysikes Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:16pm
post #16 of 27

AI think the regular (white) cake boxes are great, and use them often, especially when people pick up the cakes, but the large tiered ones are much more expensive, and only available online (where I live), so if you are out, you're out of luck! My proposed carrier would be used for deliveries only, because the baker will take the carrier with her after setting up.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 23 May 2013 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 27

Ok.. but Emily don't you leave a cake box with the client?  I leave cake boxes because often the client has left over cake that they will be taking with them and of course they want to transport it.

emilysikes Posted 23 May 2013 , 8:15pm
post #18 of 27

I do leave boxes sometimes, just like sometimes the client picks up the cake instead of me delivering. But, it seems like most often, I'm delivering to someone's house (where the celebration will be held) and they have no need for the paper box. 

My carrier idea is definitely not going to work for every occasion, but I know I would use it pretty frequently. I'm just interested in other bakers' opinions as to whether or not they would find a use for it too! :)

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 24 May 2013 , 4:31pm
post #19 of 27

I think your carrier is an interesting idea, Emily.  And I could see the use for it for short transports.  I however am concerned about how it would seal up and keep the cake air tight. I have had cupcake disasters with cupcakes kept sealed in a plastic carrier overnight as the moisture is trapped and causes the wrappers then to separate or the fondant decorations to wilt.  What I like about a clean cardboard box is that there seems to be a balance between the cardboard absorbing extra moisture and keeping the cake protected.  When i have fondant details on a cake i will also add a few silica pacs to the bottom of the box to absorb moisture. Would your plastic shell have air vents to allow for moisture to escape?   I also have had more of an issue with cake carriers smelling of plastic when sealed up than paper boxes smelling of cardboard.   But i'm sure that you are looking into a non-gassing, smell-proof plastic for this (too bad my Crate and Barrel big cupcake carrier didn't!) I also re-use my cardboard cake boxes for deliveries.  If the client needs it, i'll leave it (under $2 from walmart), otherwise i'll take it and reuse it a couple of times if it is still in good shape.  Another plus for cardboard is that I can store all my transport boxes in the space between two shelves. I don't think I have storage for a collection of plastic carriers at full size.  

I'm all for finding a great reusaeable product and I applaud your idea!  It does have some really good selling points, though maybe it wouldn't fit my situation and needs.  I wouldn't normally go on an be negative, but I'm just sharing feedback since you asked. 

emilysikes Posted 24 May 2013 , 7:08pm
post #20 of 27

AThank you for your feedback, Lorie! That's exactly what I'm looking for! My thought is this carrier would be used for short time frames, to reduce the moisture and "plastic smell." A vent might be a good option too, though!

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

komalali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
komalali Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 4:29pm
post #21 of 27

AI live in Canada and can't.find stagged cake boxes...

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 27

ABakeabox.com

I don't leave those with the customer, but I do leave a pink cake box with them.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 8:11pm
post #23 of 27

AI use those moving boxes. Search for Kara Buntin on out tube she has a pretty good video. I've now delivered 15 tiered cakes her way and it's great

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 24 May 2014 , 3:11pm
post #24 of 27

AFound the Kara Buntin video. That looks like a good solution!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 May 2014 , 12:27pm
post #25 of 27

I use various sized cardboard shipping boxes.  I can buy them locally very cheap....for instance a 12 x 12 x 12 runs about $0.75 up to an 18 x 18 x 24 runs about $1.50...cheaper than a white paper cake box!  I've even seen these at Wal-Mart for less than a couple dollars!

I use a cardboard cutting knife to cut the top of the box off leaving about 3 inches of length for the sides...this becomes the "lid".

I trim the remainder of the box to the desired height....if it's a really tall cake I have just taped the top flaps up to extend the height of the box, then cut my lid from a second box.  I fold and tape the bottom flaps securely in place and do the same with the flaps for the lid.

I then cut the front side of the box from top to bottom so that the side folds down like a draw bridge.  I place a small piece of non-slip rubber mat in the bottom of the box.

When ready to deliver, my cold cake (been in the cooler overnight) goes into the box, the front is raised back up into place and taped securely on both side, then the lid placed on and ready to go. 

The heavy cardboard also acts to insulate the cake so that it stays cold and firm during delivery.  Not everyone chills their cakes, and that's fine too...just a matter of personal preference.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMonster14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMonster14 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 10:51am
post #27 of 27

I think you should go for a wedding cake box, for your tiered cakes. They are 6" deep.
You can get them in a pack of 5 boxes. Also free delivery.

http://www.eurocakeboxes.com/wedding-cake-box-37-p.asp

hope this helps you :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%