What To Cover A Rice Krispy Figure With?

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 5 Sep 2012 , 12:32am by savannahquinn

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a dragon out of RKT and gum paste. Would you recommend covering the body with candy melts or butter cream? If I use candy melts, I assume I wait for it to harden before covering with fondant? Will the fondant stick to the hardened candy melts or do I need to use "glue", like corn syrup, etc.?
Thanks for any help!

10 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 11

I just read somewhere on here that if you use melted candy that once it dries that if its put under fondant that it shows every little bump and is unforgiving read that Bc would work better and the fondant should stick to the Bc let me know if it works

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 11

I cover anything I make out of RKT with buttercream. Actually, I thin out my buttercream just a little and put on several micro-coats, usually using my hands so I can get in all the corners and crannies. I pop it in the fridge between coats so the BC can harden. Any bumps can be smoothed out with the warmth of my hands. Once it's nice and smooth, then you can cover with fondant. HTH!

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 11

Modelling chocolate, modelling chocolate + 1 layer of fondant or two layers of fondant (first layer directly on RKT even without any 'glue' if heated in microwave for 10 secs).

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 12:03am
post #5 of 11

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll let you know how it works out!

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 11

I carved a dragon out of cake last weekend and I made the head from cereal treats....I covered the head with buttercream, then with fondant scales.

loveyourcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveyourcake Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:03am
post #7 of 11

I usually roll out my RKT so they are smooth, and just use water to adhere the fondant icon_smile.gif gives me a very smooth surface and is less messy for smaller pieces!

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:51am
post #8 of 11

I just did this wine bottle tonight. I covered the treats with melted chocolate chips, popped into the freezer to firm back up, then covered with fondant. While not perfectly smooth, I was happy with my first attempt doing this. Before I covered with the fondant, I went over some of the rougher spots with a hot spatula to smooth down.
LL

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 11

I use modeling chocolate to cover rice treats and find that it sticks naturally.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:28am
post #10 of 11

I find, too, that if you roll and mash the RKTs when making a shape, they actually come out very smooth. I just drape the fondant or modeling chocolate over it and it's good to go.

Rae

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:32am
post #11 of 11

I use modeling chocolate. I find buttercream under fondant gets messy and I feel like I can keep working and smoothing the modeling chocolate with my hands as much or as little as I want.
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%