Best Buttercream Recipe?

Baking By sydney99 Updated 8 Jul 2012 , 10:44pm by Marianna46

sydney99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sydney99 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 4

Hello, im new to make cakes so im trying to find the best recipe for buttercream. Please put your favorite most Delicious recipe and the steps you use to make/ and how you put it under fondant. Please and Thank You.Thanks, Sydney icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

For my money, both Sharon Zambito's and IndyDebi's buttercreams are wonderful (the recipes are in the recipe section here on CC). I've heard wonderful things about the meringue buttercreams, too (Italian and Swiss, abbreviated as IMBC and SMBC, respectively), but I haven't tried them yet. They are a little more complicated to make than the first two I mentioned and they don't crust like the first two do, which is sometimes and advantage and sometimes a disadvantage. I would suggest you try a different one on each of the next few cakes you make and see what you like the best. I don't use them under fondant, because I live in a high-humidity climate and buttercream makes my fondant slide off the cake (I generally use ganache or sometimes nothing at all). Best of luck in finding something you like and please know that we're all here to help each other!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 4

The best recipe for buttercream includes verifying that you are using 10X powdered (condectioners) sugar.

In the US, Domino Sugar packs this in 1-lb and 2-lb packages. Their bulk is 6X NOT 10X https://shop.dominosugar.com/Confectioners-Sugar/25-lb and they also pack this for off-label store brands.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 4

Good point, BakingIrene. 10X is much finer than 6X and, if your recipe calls for powdered sugar, the finer the better. Whether the recipe says to or not, sift it two or three times through a fine sieve (the plastic mesh ones are fine enough, but the wire mesh ones usually aren't). This is a total PITA, but absolutely makes or breaks your buttercream. It's one of the reasons I'm looking to try out the meringue buttercreams soon - they use granulated sugar. They require some cooking and also some beating of egg whites, but no problems in getting the PS ground fine enough and sifted sufficiently well. Where I live, no BC will crust (humidity, alas!), so the non-crusting meringue icings won't be much of a change for me in that sense!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%