Best Icing For Outside In 96 Deg Heat?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 2 Sep 2012 , 3:02pm by FullHouse

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 19

I just made a double batch of Indydebi's crisco icing and it has a greasy mouth-feel to me. Is it just me? Is there another recipe you'd suggest?

18 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 19

Any icing recipe that uses all shortening probably will have that same mouth feel. Personally I don't notice it in most icings. It might be the perticular shortening you are using. Have you tried using Hi-ratio? That could make a difference. Also, add more flavoring....up to 2 Tablespoons per batch using 2#s of sugar.

Wildgirl Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 19

I decided to just go ahead with it. I did use more vanilla though. Honestly, how many people are going to show up to sit outside when it's 96 deg? And these last few days,whatever temp they've been forecasting, you can add a few more deg's to it - so I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow was 100.

I think this heat is getting to me. Our house is 80 and the air has been running constantly. It's about 105 here now. Thankfully the sun will be going down soon. I just wet down some stray kitties that have made our yard their home. It's hard to care about a cake right now.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 1:05am
post #4 of 19

Fondant is the only way to go if you're outside in this kind of heat...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 1:40am
post #5 of 19

Sharon Zambito'a recipe. She lives in Louisiana. All swear by it that uses it in the heat. If and when people don,t like fondant, then you have to use a b/ c recipe that withstands the heat as best as you can. Yes, try the hi-ratio that the op mentioned also. hth

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 2:04am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I have to agree! My daughter was married in 98 degree weather and her baker refused to put the her butter cream cake outside (good for him!). I find outdoor weddings do not go on schedule and the cake could suffer. My daughter's cake would have been in that heat for 3 hours before the cutting. I realize you have to do what the bride wants but if there is a way to keep it cold until cutting I would find out. Have you seen the video by Bronwen Weber called Melting WeddingCake?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 2:31am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow

I have to agree! My daughter was married in 98 degree weather and her baker refused to put the her butter cream cake outside (good for him!). I find outdoor weddings do not go on schedule and the cake could suffer. My daughter's cake would have been in that heat for 3 hours before the cutting. I realize you have to do what the bride wants...

NO you do not always do what the bride wants, not if it interferes with food safety.

And I am perfectly sure that a bride wants to have a decent looking cake when she cuts it...not something that looks like a trifle that broke out of prison. And what if somebody takes that poor thing home after it sat in the hot sun for umpty hours, and let it sit some more and got food poisoning or diarrhea? Think they would be grateful?

It's up to the baker to explain what the safe and practical limits of cake/icing are at the time that the order is being discussed. Make sure the restrictions are written into the contract.

JWinslow Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 2:47am
post #8 of 19

[quote=
NO you do not always do what the bride wants, not if it interferes with food safety.

And I am perfectly sure that a bride wants to have a decent looking cake when she cuts it...not something that looks like a trifle that broke out of prison. And what if somebody takes that poor thing home after it sat in the hot sun for umpty hours, and let it sit some more and got food poisoning or diarrhea? Think they would be grateful?

It's up to the baker to explain what the safe and practical limits of cake/icing are at the time that the order is being discussed. Make sure the restrictions are written into the contract.[/quote]

Good Point(s). I stand corrected - Thank you

costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

[

And I am perfectly sure that a bride wants to have a decent looking cake when she cuts it...not something that looks like a trifle that broke out of prison. .

"trifle breaking out of prison." hahaha! Best mental image of the day!

I have brides come to me all the time who tell me that this or that baker assured them that they could "adjus the formula" of the buttercream so that it won't melt. That is total BS, and it just means that they'll pull all of the butter out of the icing, use an entirely shortening-based one and cross their fingers. All-crisco icings don't taste as good IMO, and in the 104 degree heat they're predicting for this afternoon yes, it will still melt. I won't do buttercream for an outdoor recpetion from May-September, and April and October are debateable. If they don't like it they can go buy a melting cake from another baker, but that's what they'll get, a melting cake.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 19

Any of my summer brides (and a few of the early Fall too) get a warning from me that if the temps outside go above a certain point, their wedding cake WILL be covered with fondant to protect it - or I just can't take the order, because I have my business to protect. You hardly ever see compliments on line but if something goes wrong BAM!!! you see a flood of negatives............not good for business.............so I don't even want to go there. "An ounce of prevention"

Wildgirl Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 19

Scratch that 96 deg - it's now 105 and we haven't hit the hottest part of the day yet. I will have the stand on ice, but really, even all crisco won't last in this. If I have to ever do this again I will do the fondant, but it's already done. I'll have to get a quick pic of the grad with it before it dissolves. It really makes me sad - I think this cake was my best work!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgirl

Scratch that 96 deg - it's now 105 and we haven't hit the hottest part of the day yet...... I'll have to get a quick pic of the grad with it before it dissolves. It really makes me sad - I think this cake was my best work!

Yes cake is ephemeral. But the computer experts tell us "what you post on the internet is forever" so maybe the pictures on this site will live on.

I had been thinking of making a cake so that I could test an idea for hot weather buttercream. But it's too hot to bake...I think I will just plaster the icing onto a dish and see how it does.

costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 19

I put a little cake outside last year in the shade at around 6pm, since that's how brides usually tell me their cake will be different than every other melted cake. It melted. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/07/baby-its-hot-outside.html

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 19

All this is making me really nervous about the cake that i have to make at the end of this month....not sure how good the venue AC is.

costumeczar Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita

All this is making me really nervous about the cake that i have to make at the end of this month....not sure how good the venue AC is.

Oh yeah, you should see the section of my contract where I address temperature...It's slightly ridiculous but it makes the point to the brides that I'm not responsible for them putting the cake in a melty place. My biggest peeve is when they swear that the cake will be inside, then when I get to the venue and the cake table is outside. A few people have tried that little bait and switch, so I put the info about temperature in the contract.

Wildgirl Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 12:08am
post #16 of 19

Well, it went fine! I went and got the cake out of the fridge as everyone was eating, so it didn't have to be out long before it was cut. And about that time, huge clouds came in - it didn't rain, but it did drop the temp some which really helped. The figure got a bit shiny, but the frosting did fine!

(it was indydebi's bc but I used powdered coffee creamer/water instead of milk per Sharon Z's recipe)

(oh - and I've come to realize why I do cakes - it's all an ego thing. When I hear people ooo and aaaaahhh and take pictures, ask where I bought the figure icon_biggrin.gif , say that they weren't going to have cake, but then heard it was mine and now want a big piece - that is why I do it. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

JWinslow Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 12:20am
post #17 of 19

So very happy for you! Always nice to hear about success especially going into with concerns. icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 12:43am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I have to agree! My daughter was married in 98 degree weather and her baker refused to put the her butter cream cake outside (good for him!). I find outdoor weddings do not go on schedule and the cake could suffer. My daughter's cake would have been in that heat for 3 hours before the cutting. I realize you have to do what the bride wants but if there is a way to keep it cold until cutting I would find out. Have you seen the video by Bronwen Weber called Melting WeddingCake?

I have forbidden my 19 year old daughter to have an out door wedding. This past April, a friend of mine had an outdoor wedding. We were a captive audience for the reception, out by the pool. Where I live, this is normal and temperatures should have been in the 70's. We froze our butts off. It was 50* with a sharp wind. I had to sit outside by the pool four hours, with no sweater and no jacket. Everyone was miserable, except the bride and groom. They were too giddy to notice. It was so uncomfortable, we ate dinner (which we could not enjoy due to shivering) and then we slipped out a side door and didn't even stay for the cake cutting....AND I MADE THE CAKE!

Recently, I delivered a three tier cake to an event home and the it was 99* with 89% humidity and again...outside wedding. An hour after I delivered the cake a great storm front came through with horrific winds. Everything was moved inside due to the storm.
Yup, no outside weddings for this cake baker's daughter! icon_biggrin.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 3:02pm
post #19 of 19

Just thought I would share my inadvertent experiment with buttercream yesterday. I used a crusting buttercream recipe with a ratio of 25% butter, 75% hi-ratio shortening, 100% conf. sugar.

I had a small 5" cake that I used to quickly demo icing application during a private lesson. I was just bringing it home for my kids so I wasn't concerned about cooling off my car ahead of time as I do for deliveries. I turned the a/c to high immediately, but since the car was warm when I put the cake in, a large portion of icing melted and fell right off the side of the cake leaving a bald spot a few inches wide. I snapped a picture with my phone and am attaching it here. Granted, it was probably over 100F in my car and I was not handling the box carefully so this is an extreme example, but it was only hot for a few minutes and this is what happened. It is always a possibility when cake is exposed to the heat.

Please don't pay attention to the rough icing job, it was a quick demo and I only showed them how to finalize the smoothing process on one small section of the cake icon_smile.gif.

[/img]
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%