White White Imbc

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 7 Jul 2012 , 8:34am by cakeladyatLA

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 9

I use only Italian Meringue Buttercream for all my icings and fillings. However, I am going to be doing a wedding cake soon that would look fantastic with the stark contrast that RED, BLACK, AND WHITE can give. IMBC is known for not being white white. I have tried clear vanilla and it only makes it too sweet. I noticed the difference. Also tried using regular good vanilla but then adding Wilton's WHITE color liquid and that also came out way too sweet. It was gross. I threw it out. What about those color powders??? Anyone ever tried that? Yes I realize I want the best of both worlds.....wedding white cake but with that unmatched taste of IMBC. Thanks for your help!!

8 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 9

I make SMBC, and when I need it as white as possible, I don't add any kind of anything, no white powder, and no vanilla, especially not clear "vanilla". And it doesn't end up tasting like butter either, it's just sweet and pure.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 9

Some of the yellow color of meringue based frostings is in the butter. There are some color differences in the brand of butter you buy. The higher end brands are whiter/lighter and not as yellow. Also, if you whip your butter first (separate from the meringue) it becomes whiter the more whippier it gets...then, add it to the meringue. You can also sub out half the butter for Sweetex...it doesn't change the flavor too much at all, and you're eliminating some of the yellow color of butter. Also, use clear vanilla, but just use less. You can also add a little clear butter flavoring if you go the half Sweetex/half butter route.

If you don't want to use clear vanilla, then try using vanilla coffee creamer as your flavoring...a little at a time...it's white, but has a great vanilla flavor. Use the coffee mate french vanilla in the refrigerated section.

Hope some of those ideas help! icon_smile.gif

camomama5 Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you to both of you! I will try those ideas and see what works for me.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 9

You can also try adding just a touch of violet food coloring. It will counter-act the yellow and make the IMBC look whiter. Just be careful, you only need a very small amount. I typically just dip the tip of a tooth pick into the food color gel and use as much as is on that.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 2:01am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsapph

You can also try adding just a touch of violet food coloring. It will counter-act the yellow and make the IMBC look whiter. Just be careful, you only need a very small amount. I typically just dip the tip of a tooth pick into the food color gel and use as much as is on that.

Yep, works every time. No change in recipe, no change in flavor, no change in texture.

Rae

camomama5 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 2:42am
post #7 of 9

Love it! That's great!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 3:03am
post #8 of 9

Margarine used to come in white (no dye added) and a good quality margarine will taste a lot better than shortening. But I haven't seen that stuff in a long time...

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 8:34am
post #9 of 9

I once heard that somebody had done it with crisco instead of butter then added butter flavor.
I read that somewhere but not sure if it worked or not, good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%