Gum Paste Recipe

Baking By dozyvee Updated 13 Jul 2012 , 9:33am by sweettreat101

dozyvee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozyvee Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 6

Hi has anyone got a good gum paste recipe they can give me. i have seen lots that use raw egg whites, i dont mind using them but i just want to check that it is safe first? also how long can you keep it etc? xx thanks in advance people xx

5 replies
sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 6

I always use this one.(Nicholas Lodge's)

Gumpaste with tylose:

makes approximately 1 pound of gumpaste.

2 - Large Egg Whites
1 lb sifted icing sugar
6 - Level teaspoons Tylose
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco) or any white vegetable shortening

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the Tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into amount of paste you are going to use right away. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags well wrapped in cling paper and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer.

dozyvee Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 6

thank you so much for that. so it is ok to eat as it has raw eggs? x

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 6

I am not sure how many people would eat the gumpaste flowers or any other deco that you make.
If you want to play it safe use pasturized egg white. I use fresh egg white and I have grand kids who always want to make something too, I usually give them a small ball of the paste and have seen them popping little bits in their mouth, no harm has come to them.

dozyvee Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 11:40am
post #5 of 6

Thank u was the best gumpaste recipe I've ever used x

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 9:33am
post #6 of 6

The egg whites are safe the egg yolk holds the bacteria. Just make sure when making gumpaste with egg whites that you don't get any egg yolks in the gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%