Troubleshooting Moist Cakes With Fondant

Baking By silbella Updated 7 Jul 2012 , 11:46am by silbella

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 5

So I have this problem when I make some of my cakes, especially my chocolate cake when I cover it with fondant. After awhile, the fondant starts to sag on the cake. I think the issue could be the recipe, which bakes a cake that is very moist but I'm not 100% convinced. It IS possible to have a moist cake under fondant without sagging right??? Anyway, my questions are...could there be another reason for the sagging fondant and what can I try to do to alleviate the problem. Also, if it is my recipe, does anyone have a recommendation for a chocolate cake that's sturdy. I should note that I currently use a doctored cake mix recipe that adds pudding and sour cream. And also, this sagging has only occurred when using Satin Ice fondant. Could it be the fondant itself?? I gotta say, since recently switching to it from marshmallow, I'm not impressed. Thanks!

4 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:09am
post #2 of 5

How thick are you rolling your fondant? If it's too thick and it could be weighing down the cake.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 5

Ughhhhh - satin ice - i used it twice and never again - i just found it toooooo soft - too tapedshut.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif and just horrid.

As vgcea mentioned - might it be too thick thus being too heavy .

Bluehue

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 5

I think your problem is the satin ice , I only use it when I need a strong colour but I mix it with my regular icing bakels. I find this works well , but by itself Ugggggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 11:46am
post #5 of 5

vgcea, I don't believe I'm rolling the fondant too thick. I've thought of that and deliberately rolled it thinner this last time. It just may be the Satin Ice. It has given me nothing but trouble and I'm going to switch back to marshmallow unless there is a better option. Any recommendations? I did like having one less thing to make. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%