Help With Cream Cheese Frosting!!!

Decorating By KimErskine Updated 5 Jul 2012 , 4:33am by srkmilklady

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 6

I have to make a red velvet with cream cheese frosting cake for Friday evening. This is no problem as I do them all the time. My problem is she want's a 2 tier. 8 inch with 6 inch on top. My cream cheese frosting is pretty gooey. When I keep in the fridge sides are OK but when its removed even for a short time side start to run down. I know this is the cream cheese. Just worried about doing it 2 tiers and having it look sloppy. Any advice would be VERY much appreciated. Can I stiffen up the recipe any so it is easier to work with? HELP :/

5 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 6

I would lesson the cream cheese and you would be surprised how you don't need too much to get that cc taste..that way, lesser to cause the melting..I use 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 c. shortening, and 1 block cc with 2 pounds of sugar..and add more sugar to stiffen if needed, yet be careful to make sure you have your cc taste.

Best of luck

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 6

Ok, i am going to give you a recipe(by carmijok, a c/cer) she use to work at a bakery and this is what she uses. I have always loved the recipe i used, but when it is hot, it can be very soft. She uses 2 st. salted butter, 1 8oz cream cheese 2 lbs. powder sugar. It is very tasty and stiffer that i have always used. You will really like it. For chocolate, she uses 1/2 st. more butter and 2/3 c cocoa powder. I can,t wait to try that one also. hth It tastes just like the one i made. Some people are using decorators c/c icing for tiered cakes, but , while this recipe is good. It is not a cream cheese tasting as i like. Carmijok's recipe does not take away that cream cheese taste.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks icer101! I was just going to post my recipe when I saw your comment!

I do use this as my go-to buttercream on all my cakes. I don't cover with fondant. It has cream cheese in it, has a fabulous flavor, crusts nicely and I use it to pipe and for other b/c decor.

In your mixer cream together softened butter and cream cheese until very well blended and smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar.

That's it! You don't need vanilla or any other flavoring unless you just want it. It should be a good spreading consistency but you can add a little water or milk to thin...although I don't think you'll need to.

I always deliver my cakes cold and let it come to room temp slowly so if you 're having heat issues, this might help. Just keep it in your fridge until delivery. Most cakes aren't cut for several hours so this works very well. This frosting is pretty stable. It's not made to be in an extreme heat situation though.

KimErskine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimErskine Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 2:58am
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much carmijok, icer101 and jenscreativity. I will defiantly try your recipe carmijok. I feel better about it.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 4:33am
post #6 of 6

carmijok's cream cheese icing is my new go to buttercream!! I've used it on my last two cakes and it was great to work with, it tasted great and held up in the heat at a bridal shower where there was no air conditioning. Covering it with fondant worked out well for me also on one of the cakes I did.

Hope you try it.... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%