Wed Too Soon To Ganache Cake For Sat?

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 5 Jul 2012 , 2:38pm by Dayti

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Guys-

Thought I would ask the experts- I have frozen layers in freezer- since I'm home today and enjoying the Anerican Revolution series on the History channel- I was thinking it would be a good time to pull the cakes out- defrost and cover in ganache for a party on Saturday--- do you think it is too early in the week for that?

Thanks for any info-

Mo

9 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

I would defrost today and fill your layers, leave to rest overnight covered in plastic wrap, and ganache tomorrow morning. You can either decorate with fondant tomorrow evening or on Friday morning. Leaves you Friday afternoon (or all day if you cover tomorrow) to decorate, ready for delivery on Saturday.

I bake Tues, fill Weds, ganache Thurs, decorate Fri. So on Saturday everything is done for delivery/pick up.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 10

"I bake Tues, fill Weds, ganache Thurs, decorate Fri. So on Saturday everything is done for delivery/pick up."

How do you store your cake between these stages??

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 10

It wouldn't be too early for me, but I mostly make mudcakes that last forever without going stale, so it would depend on your cake, I guess. The ganache will certainly be fine.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the advice- I will defrost, fill and wrap tonight- ganache and start decorating tomorrow night- It takes me FOREVER to finish any cake I do- (ugh!!)--

I will be trying some new techniques I learned from Marinia Sousa's Fondant course through Craftsy-- which was fabulous by the way!!!!-- I bought it on sale for 20.00!!! Worth every penny!!!-- I missed the sale for all the other classes- anxiously awaiting the next one- as well as Sharon's-- I missed her sale too- I think- I better check that (SugarEd had 20% off)-

Thanks guys- I can always count on my "friends" on CC to guide me in the right direction-

Happy 4th!!!

Mo

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

It wouldn't be too early for me, but I mostly make mudcakes that last forever without going stale, so it would depend on your cake, I guess. The ganache will certainly be fine.

Do you have links to any good mud cake recipes? Does having sour cream in a cake make it a mud cake? Still learning about this type of cake. I'm interested because it now means I can bake ahead without worrying about a stale cake by Saturday.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 5:25am
post #7 of 10

I usually ganache on Wednesday and cover on Thursday.

But like Mcaulir I do primarily mudcakes too.

Pearl, Mudcakes contain melted chocolate , they are usually a melt and mix method cake , where you melt all the wet ingredients together over a low heat , let cool and then add your dry ingredients and eggs.

Some recipes have sour cream , but not all , mine has buttermilk.
there was a Mudcake thread in here a few months ago that is full of good mud recipes.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 10:41am
post #8 of 10

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

This is the one I use. It's made by melting chocolate, butter and some kind of liquid and mixing in the eggs and other dry ingredients. Very moist and dense.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

This is the one I use. It's made by melting chocolate, butter and some kind of liquid and mixing in the eggs and other dry ingredients. Very moist and dense.

Thanks for the link. I just saw the thread on mud cakes on CC so I have some experimenting to do. I like the idea that I can bake ahead.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictive_desserts

"I bake Tues, fill Weds, ganache Thurs, decorate Fri. So on Saturday everything is done for delivery/pick up."

How do you store your cake between these stages??

In plastic wrap, at room temperature. I don't use perishable fillings generally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%