Peanut Butter Buttercream

Baking By eekala Updated 10 Jul 2012 , 8:41am by docofthedead

eekala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eekala Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 12

I'm wanting to make chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing for an upcoming event at work. Problem is I don't have a recipe icon_sad.gif I usually use an icing made with cooked flour and milk, would it be as simple as adding pb to my icing? Or can someone share a better recipe with me? Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm just planning to do a 1M swirl on top of the cupcakes and maybe topped with a mini pb cup like i have seen pics of on here.

11 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 12

You can add peanut butter to just about any buttercream, even cream cheese. You should be fine if your beginning buttercream is firm, as the peanut butter will soften t a little. If you need it to be sweeter, honey and brown sugar both blend well with peanut butter.

bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 12:16am
post #3 of 12

My PB peanut butter starts with an entire jar of peanut butter, not the natural kind, regular Jif creamy is best. I beat that with a stick of room temperature butter and a tablespoon of vanilla until fluffy, a good 4-5 minutes. I add powdered sugar until it reaches the correct thickness and sweetness.

The problem that I have with adding PB to a traditional AMBC, is that it can turn the frosting kind of dry and not smooth and creamy, this method seems to remedy that. It must be something about the peanut oil that messes with the buttercream.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 12:34am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef

My PB peanut butter starts with an entire jar of peanut butter, not the natural kind, regular Jif creamy is best. I beat that with a stick of room temperature butter and a tablespoon of vanilla until fluffy, a good 4-5 minutes. I add powdered sugar until it reaches the correct thickness and sweetness.

This sounds really tasty. I almost think it would taste like the inside of a Reese's peanut butter cup! Does it? And what size jar are you talking about?

bakechef Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 11:03am
post #5 of 12

I guess you could say that it tastes like that, I get rave reviews every time I make it.

Sorry, I use 15-18oz jar, I think Jif is 18, the other brands are 15, I've used Skippy, and Peter Pan with good results.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

You can add peanut butter to just about any buttercream, even cream cheese. You should be fine if your beginning buttercream is firm, as the peanut butter will soften t a little. If you need it to be sweeter, honey and brown sugar both blend well with peanut butter.

Yum! I never thought about adding honey or brown sugar. I need to try that! icon_biggrin.gif

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:

My PB peanut butter starts with an entire jar of peanut butter, not the natural kind, regular Jif creamy is best.

That does sound yummy! But what happens if you use natural pb? That's what I normally have on hand so I was wondering if it would be a mistake to try with it.

bakechef Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCCrafts

Quote:

My PB peanut butter starts with an entire jar of peanut butter, not the natural kind, regular Jif creamy is best.

That does sound yummy! But what happens if you use natural pb? That's what I normally have on hand so I was wondering if it would be a mistake to try with it.

Natural will be too loose, and you will need lots more sugar to make it spreadable. I've used the Jif Natural and it worked but was noticeably softer than the one with the hydrogenated fat. I hate the idea of hydrogenated fat, that's why I used the Jif natural, luckily it worked but might be a little less stable because it uses palm oil instead. The very natural, the type that needs stirring isn't good for icings.

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 12:23am
post #9 of 12

I use Schudder's All Natural Peanut Butter. I love it. Have always had great results. I am asked to make that more than others.

SCCB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCCB Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 2:10am
post #10 of 12

I make AMBC and use PB2 powdered peanut butter in it. (I buy it from Nutrition Depot) It does not change the consistency of the icing and it tastes great.

bakechef Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 12

I was wondering if PB2 would work well in icing! I have been meaning to buy some. I've heard that Trader Joe's has a version of this but I haven't seen this in my TJ's.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:41am
post #12 of 12

I use this recipe and they are AMAZING!!! My family begs for them all the time! I love the icing...I could eat that straight out of the bowl (oh wait, I do!!)
give it a try, I promise you will love them!!

" target="_blank" class="postlink">http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/peanut-butter-cup-cupcakes/

usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%