Make Your Own Cake Stand?

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 6 Jul 2012 , 4:01am by BakingIrene

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 16

I am trying to make my own pedestal cake stand. Simply because the size I need is too expensive for me to just purchase right now. The bottom tier of this cake will be 14", so I'm thinking I need a 16" stand.

First question - how thick do you think the top circle piece of the stand should be? So far the only place I've found, even online, that has a 16" circle is only 1/4" thick. Do you think that's strong enough to hold a 24-26" tall cake?

Second question - have you made one? What did you do?

Thanks!

15 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 16

Why not use MDF? It can be cut to the size you need, and comes in different thicknesses. It can be cut into the shape you want, and can easily be painted. For the legs, you can use just about anything (furniture legs...like those blunt balls). It's pretty inexpensive too. You can jazz the sides up if you want with ribbons, or fringe, or whatever! You're only limited by your imagination!

bluedaisies Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

Why not use MDF? It can be cut to the size you need, and comes in different thicknesses. It can be cut into the shape you want, and can easily be painted. For the legs, you can use just about anything (furniture legs...like those blunt balls). It's pretty inexpensive too. You can jazz the sides up if you want with ribbons, or fringe, or whatever! You're only limited by your imagination!

Googling now... but in case I can't find it.. what is MDF?
*Nevermind, found it! Medium-density fibreboard lol

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 16

For MDF, try a lumber place or home improvement center. They will often cut to size for you.

I have made cake stands with "supplies" from thrift stores. I made one with a 16-inch glass platter ($3.99) plus feet. For feet I used sherbet glasses which I already had in my basement, unused for years, but you can buy those too, or low glass candlesticks, or champagne saucers, or........ whatever your imagination can come up with. Glue the feet to the bottom of the platter with something strong, like epoxy. Another one I made with a silver-plated platter and a silver-plated candle holder. Another one was a special glass Christmas platter and the matching sugar bowl (upside-down) glued together.

All parts were found at the same thrift shop, my favorite.
icon_smile.gif

bluedaisies Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

For MDF, try a lumber place or home improvement center. They will often cut to size for you.

I have made cake stands with "supplies" from thrift stores. I made one with a 16-inch glass platter ($3.99) plus feet. For feet I used sherbet glasses which I already had in my basement, unused for years, but you can buy those too, or low glass candlesticks, or champagne saucers, or........ whatever your imagination can come up with. Glue the feet to the bottom of the platter with something strong, like epoxy. Another one I made with a silver-plated platter and a silver-plated candle holder. Another one was a special glass Christmas platter and the matching sugar bowl (upside-down) glued together.

All parts were found at the same thrift shop, my favorite.
icon_smile.gif

Oooh great ideas - thank you!

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 16

I can't offer any help on how to make a cake stand, but I have been lucky to find some very reasonable prices on Ebay, Amazon, and Save on Crafts. HTH

Kim

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 16

Or watch at your local thrift store for a large glass microwave turntable. They are cheap and really strong. Also come in large sizes if you watch for them.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 5:31am
post #8 of 16

I also have made cake stand from things I picked up at thrift stores. The only problem I had was finding a base big enough for a cake larger than 10" inches, that's why I suggested the MDF.

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 16

Many big box hardware stores sell large, wood circles that are intended to be table tops for a make-your-own table. Check out the lumber section. Wonderful cake bases, but not as cheap as DIY since they are pre-cut circles for you. (But pre-cut means VERY clean edges!) They tend to be about 3/4 to 1 inch thick, too.

We have a local ACE hardware that also stocks these, as well as Home Depot and Lowe's.

They won't cut a circle for you (typically, by store policy) from a larger piece of sheet wood because this qualifies as a "detail" cut.

If you were to cut your own, of course, the easiest way to cut a circle is with a router. (In case you have any woodworking buddies...)

Cheers,
-j

shanter Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 16

For my 16-inch wide stand, I used more than one upside-down sherbet glass for feet. If I were to make one with only one pedestal, I would use an upside-down compote (comport in UK).

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 16

I wish I could see pictures of your homemade stands!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 16

I made a stand for a dummy cake out of a glazed flower pot and 1/2 inch foamcore board. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1763631/1763671/other-cakes I cut a offset that matched the size of the bottom of the flower pot from the 3/8 inch and glued it to the underside of the larger board. This is not 16", but I made one without the pot that was 15 inches for my step-son's wedding. sorry, I can't get the picture to attach.

shanter Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianInFL

I wish I could see pictures of your homemade stands!

Hmmmmmm. I'll let you know when I find my camera. Seriously. Currently my house is decorated in early, middle, and late Chaos. icon_smile.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 12:55am
post #14 of 16

Hav you run a Search on the Internet? Many decorators/bakers have made their own .. they may give you some ideas ..

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 1:16am
post #15 of 16

The thing that gives me the shivers is that you want to place a 24" tall cake on a stand you're making and it will have one central pedestal? You're really taking a chance that it won't tip, and that the glue you're using will hold. I've had the best of luck with a styrofoam cake dummy - 3 or 4" tall, draped over with a coordinating piece of fabric to match ribbons or flowers on the cake. You can stand on them and they won't cave and you just have the functions manager toss it out at the end of the event, you don't have to travel back to get it.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 4:01am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisies

I am trying to make my own pedestal cake stand. Simply because the size I need is too expensive for me to just purchase right now. The bottom tier of this cake will be 14", so I'm thinking I need a 16" stand.

NO your base has to be at least 18". Look on ebay for a used 18" plate and run it through your dishwasher with bleach.

Quote:
Quote:

First question - how thick do you think the top circle piece of the stand should be? So far the only place I've found, even online, that has a 16" circle is only 1/4" thick. Do you think that's strong enough to hold a 24-26" tall cake?

NO. You need at least 3/4" thickness for this height of cake. If it's real cake.

For feet, find something that has a place to drill a hole so that you screw the feet to the underside of the board. NOT glue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%