Could You Ship Cake Overseas For Soldier?

Decorating By Cake_Bliss Updated 4 Jul 2012 , 3:40pm by scp1127

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 2:12am
post #1 of 5

A friend's husband is in Afghanistan and she wanted to send a cake to him for his birthday. Is that possible and it still be good? I read here in the forums for them being shipped across the country without any trouble. I am just not sure how long it would be in the process of heading over there. Thank you so much with your help with this.

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 3:03am
post #2 of 5

They are overnighted or sent 2nd day. You must maintain the correct temp, impossible for overseas destinations.

If you use a box mix and shortening cake, it is not perishable. It can be shipped, but will still melt in the heat.

The soldiers prefer jar cakes, if you do the research. They keep well.

Also, you can send cupcakes by sending the cupcakes unfrosted with the frosting in another bag with instructions on where to cut the bag and how to squeeze it out.

In my research, you need to plan for delays up to two weeks and more. That is why I wouldn't even send a scratch cake that is non-perishable. Here is one time when box mixes with their chemicals and preservatives, will work in your favor.

Another good choice is brownies, followed by cookies, both with longer shelf lives.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 3:48am
post #3 of 5

Thank you! Thank you! I didn't even think of the cupcake idea. I was thinking of when I sent my sister packages when she was deployed it would take a while So when my friend asked I didn't know what to tell her! LOL thank you so very muchicon_smile.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 8:00am
post #4 of 5

Rose Levy Beranbaum (Cake bible) describes sending her version of fruit cake to a family member but I don't believe it was overseas though. A fruit cake may be another option depending on if the recipient likes them.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 5

Your'e welcome. Once I get my FDA license, it is my plan to offer a few items for our overseas soldiers. Some people don't bake and want to send something from home. I plan on doing them at a discount with exact shipping charges, as low as I can go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%