Anyone Else Dread Turning On Their Oven?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 7 Jul 2012 , 10:18pm by Apti

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:45am
post #1 of 24

It was at least 100 here today - I don't think our air ever shut off and it still couldn't get the house cool. I absolutely dread turning on the oven to start a cake for Saturday. And then the event (graduation party) will be outside - at least it should only be 90 that day. icon_confused.gif (have plans to have the cake at a friends house nearby so I can run and get it out of their fridge when it's cake time)

23 replies
trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 3:23am
post #2 of 24

I just bit the bullet today. I volunteered to make a cake for the 4th and put it off as long as I could. It is a 3 layer (red, white & blue) and I only have 2 pans so I had to double the time the oven was on. It's not quite as hot today and I had the air conditioner running the whole time. I was happy when I finished so I could turn the oven off. I'm thankful for the air at least, would hate to bake without it. I have another cake for next weekend and hopefully it'll be a bit cooler by then. I hope your cake (and you) turned out good. Mine is 6+ inches tall and I have 15 cupcakes (had to do something with the extra batter). Happy baking thumbs_up.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 3:27am
post #3 of 24

It is the middle of winter here and I am considering baking a cake just so the house is a little warmer.

MisterCakePro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MisterCakePro Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 11:16am
post #4 of 24

When the weather turns very hot, I bake during the night when it's the coolest.

Wildgirl Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 24

Ugh. It didn't feel like it cooled down here much last night and the next few days will be worse. I think I'm just going to have to sweat.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 24

i juuust said a couple weeks ago "now i know why bakers bake at NIGHT" LOL. I live in WI right on the lake and it's dreadful even being near the lake...no cooler like the weather men always say :p

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 24

Yeah, I bake at night and stick those suckers in the freezer (wrapped of course) as soon as possible.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 24

Yep, record breaking heat here in Colorado Springs the past couple of weeks, plus we're on fire (well, pretty contained now, bless the firefighters). I had a cake last weekend and one this weekend and baked in the very early morning, started at around 5:30 am. the one for this weekend is in the freezer now. It's actually for my own party and I'm worried about the temp on
Saturday. Luckily, the only thing I need to do in my (non-air-conditioned) kitchen is the actual baking. Everything else is done in my air-conditioned cake room.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

It is the middle of winter here and I am considering baking a cake just so the house is a little warmer.

Show off. Just wait until Christmas.........

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 24

I just leave the kitchen and go into a cool room when I have to turn the oven on, I set a timer and return when it's done.

But I don't mind the heat in general as much as I mind the cold.

step0nmi Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 24

if i turned on the oven today...I would combust into flames! today it will be a high of 106 in WI! wow! glad my husband decided not to work outside in this...people can easily die with that high of a temp and all this humidity!

Wildgirl Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 24

Eeek! I'm in WI - are they saying 106 now?! Just crazy. I'm surprised though - my kitchen isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Apti Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 24

In Arizona and California we have all sorts of T-shirts with images like this one. We are giant weenies and whine a lot if it gets even a tiny bit humid.
LL

step0nmi Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

In Arizona and California we have all sorts of T-shirts with images like this one. We are giant weenies and whine a lot if it gets even a tiny bit humid.

omg! i know this so well! I lived out in San Diego and also visited Las Vegas and Palm Springs...if humidity came we would cry about it all day long. can't WAIT to get back out there icon_wink.gif

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 2:18am
post #15 of 24

I also live in WI and its way hot here! Went to the cake store today and bought some goodies to play with....but hubby said dont you dare turn that oven on aww man bummer

step0nmi Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 2:54am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita

I also live in WI and its way hot here! Went to the cake store today and bought some goodies to play with....but hubby said dont you dare turn that oven on aww man bummer

DON'T DO IT!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Chellescakes Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 9:28am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:

Show off. Just wait until Christmas.........

I know I will be caking just to pay for the exhorbitant aircon bill.

katharine8283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharine8283 Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 9:50am
post #18 of 24

12 degrees Celsius here in cold Victoria today - loved having the oven on for warmth!!! icon_razz.gif

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 11:01am
post #19 of 24

super hot here too and I don't have air conditioning.. I was wondering if anyone has one of those counter top convection ovens and do they throw off alot of heat? Trying to think of alternatives.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 12:03pm
post #20 of 24

I was about to post the same thing as didavista. I have been looking in several stores and was wondering if they are any good at baking cakes. which ones are the good ones and which ones you are paying for the brand.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:40pm
post #21 of 24

14C here at the momnent - for those poor souls melting in the States thatws a cool 58F.

Our heat will return in a few months....and the raging out of control bushfires along with it... so the 2C mornings and driving rain are a blessing at the moment.
We sit and icon_sad.gif as we watch the world news and see the fires and sweltering heat you Americans are suffering through -

You just have to love Spring and Autumn - cool mornings and very suitable days - yes, i love those two seasons.

Thinking of you fellow bakers and cakers who are trying to keep cool

Bluehue

Apti Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 8:23pm
post #22 of 24

Chelle, Katherine, Bluehue, from the other side of the world~~

I never knew the seasons were reversed until the 1980's when I made a huge Thanksgiving Dinner (American holiday) in a small apartment (flat) in late November. I was in Sydney and the temp was 42C (107 F).

Now I am REALLY appreciative of winter being when it's supposed to be, back here in the States. Whew.....it'd be a bi*ch trying to do all the Thanksgiving and Christmas Baking when it's hot.

Chellescakes Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 10:12am
post #23 of 24

Apti, My Mother still insists on a baked Christmas dinner served in the middle of the day .( Fine for her she hasn't actually cooked it for about 25 years ) Add that to the fact that my sister married a Swede and we have added many of those cultural elements to our celebration . Along with the seafood elements and salads that the younger members of my family enjoy.

I can very much appreciate cooking a Thanksgiving dinner in Sydney heat.

However , when I was in Sweden for Christmas it felt strange for us to have a white Christmas and missing the beach on Boxing day .

Apti Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 10:18pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:

....... when I was in Sweden for Christmas it felt strange for us to have a white Christmas and missing the beach on Boxing day .

I'll bet! (and good for mama! You know all of you would totally miss the huge, hot Christmas dinner if it wasn't there one year.)

Thanks for the sympathy about Thanksgiving. Not only was it hot, but it was the first time I'd ever done that whole shindig by myself! (Usually it's a pot-luck and about 12 people contribute.) I had to do everything from scratch since the stores didn't stock canned pumpkin, pie crusts, fillings, dressing, etc., and I had to special order a huge turkey about 3 months in advance. Over here in the States, there are a million turkeys available in November and December (and they are super-cheap!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%