Newest Theories In Air Bubbles??

Decorating By joviolette Updated 3 Jul 2012 , 7:21pm by joviolette

joviolette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joviolette Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 4

I know, I know, there's a million posts about it, but after searching a little bit I figured I'd post a question myself. Wondering about air bubbles forming under frosting( american buttercream) when cake is coming to room temp. I use a thick dam when filling, I crumb coat and refrigerate for awhile 1-2 hrs before I do top coat of frosting, and I do keep my cakes refrigerated in between decorating etc and I deliver a chilled cake. Bubbles don't always happen but it's such a bummer when they do! What's the latest tricks out there to avoid this? Completely avoiding the fridge is not an option either because I often use cream based fillings. Would love any help! (especially with a wedding cake upcoming) thx!

3 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 4

Making sure that your filling goes all the way up to the dam, pressing down hard on your tiers to squeeze out excess air and to "seat" the two cakes on top of each other but the most important thing is to level your cakes so that they fit exactly on top of each other before you fill them. Any indentation in the upper edge of the cake you'll be putting your filling in - traps air in the void.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:21am
post #3 of 4

Don't refrigerate the cake until after your final coat. Truthfully I don't even crumbcoat anymore. If you do crumbcoat, leave the cake out for 15-20 minutes max before the second coat. That amount of time won't be detrimental to your perishable filling.

joviolette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joviolette Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 4

Ok thanks! I will be more careful about the filling, and I wont refrigerate until after final coat of frosting. Sure hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%