What Are These Made From?

Decorating By nicoles0305 Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 7:04pm by Apti

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me what the bigger curled things on this cake are made from? They are not fondant/gumpaste right? A client is requesting something similar for their cake. Thanks!!
LL

5 replies
sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 6

They look like ribbon to me. The plastic kind you wrap gifts with. Looks like it's been split to get it fine & that would cause it to curl that way. The only other thing I've used that looks similar is artificial bear grass.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 6

They look like ribbon to me. The plastic kind you wrap gifts with. Looks like it's been split to get it fine & that would cause it to curl that way. The only other thing I've used that looks similar is artificial bear grass.

WhistWight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhistWight Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with sillyoldpoohbear. It looks like curling ribbon to me too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

There was another post on this exact cake and ? some time back. I can't find the post now but we all agreed it was ribbon.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 6

Nicole, you can replicate these almost exactly by purchasing a set of food-safe wires from Duff.

http://www.duff.com/products/uniquely-duff/duff%E2%84%A2-decorative-cake-wires

You can purchase with a coupon at Michael's or similar craft stores.

For the "rick rack" looking wires, I'd just purchase some floral gauge wire (not food safe), bend to shape, then dip the end that is going to be poked in the cake in chocolate so the wire doesn't touch the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%