Help With Building Cake Stand

Decorating By nicoles0305 Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 7:42pm by Spooky_789

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a drum set cake. I am confident that I can pull it off, but this will be my first time building a custom stand. Is wood the best material for the base? How would I attach the pipes to the wood? Screws? Glue?

Any info/tips you can give me would be great! TIA!!

6 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 7

If you go to your local hardware store and ask about threaded pipe and they should also have a piece (mind is blank right now) that can be screwed into your round board to act as support. Some places will have it in PVC also, but not everywhere. I love going to my local True Value and Lowes and just wander around looking at things and what I can use them for. HTH

nicoles0305 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 7

A flange right? I've just been doing some googling and that's what I've come up with too. Thanks!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 7

Also try Home Depot for PVC.

Screwing the hardware down to the plywood is the strongest.

But somebody with actual experience of using metal hardware on cakes should comment here...because I am not sure it's food safe.

You can't use normal metal (iron) pipes because they rust, brass and copper will cost you an arm and a leg, and galvanized may or may not be safe for food...look for PVC if at all possible.

I personally use all acrylic and superglue. You can buy acrylic screws too.

nicoles0305 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Also try Home Depot for PVC.

Screwing the hardware down to the plywood is the strongest.

But somebody with actual experience of using metal hardware on cakes should comment here...because I am not sure it's food safe.

You can't use normal metal (iron) pipes because they rust, brass and copper will cost you an arm and a leg, and galvanized may or may not be safe for food...look for PVC if at all possible.

I personally use all acrylic and superglue. You can buy acrylic screws too.

Where do you get the acrylic materials? Home Depot or Lowe's? Or somewhere else?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 7

I buy acrylic sheets and rods and tubes from the Canadian wholesale. They have "Industrial Plastics" in their name.

You need to google your local supplier. The sheets come 48" x 96" and the rods/tubes come 96" long. If you can make a trip to the place, then you can see what they have in their scrap bin for a lower price.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 7

Check out this demonstration by Cami5271 over on the Wilton forums for her pipe and flange system.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=152210

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%