I Had A Feeling About This Mob..

Business By mommachris Updated 4 Jul 2012 , 5:45pm by mommachris

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 7

Just knew she was going to be trouble when she lit up my fb page with likes on all my cake images and even put her photography link on a couple of them so she could "tell all her brides about me."

This morning I woke up to find this in my message book.
"My daughter said she was wanting a small cake , i think i need to get with you... I don't want her to know but i will pay extra to make the cake bigger, because it will look funny on the big Table where it's gonna be... it's a centerpiece as you walk into the area where the reception is.. so it's gotta be impressive... let me know when we can get together!!!"

The bride and groom are paying for kitchen cakes to cover the servings. We've already been discussing how to life the cake up and make it look grander...more of a display piece.
She's said to me more than once that she doesn't want a huge cake. ( she's made wedding cakes herself in the past.)
I never met this mom, I have only dealt with the bride and groom.
There is no way I'm going to change the cake.
Seriously..how would she like it if the grandma of the couple she was photographing asked her to take some poses the couple didn't want just to satisfy her older tastes? The cake and the dress...these are the two statements at the wedding that represent the bride's style.
Wonder if she called the dress store to add some details to the gown, too.

So, what would you send her back in the form of a reply?

mommachris

6 replies
cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 7

Im sorry but our contract states such and such. If any changes are to made to the cake a new contract would have to be written up and would need to be done with the bride.

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 7

The bride is the customer, not the MOB. She should know that. Duh.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 7

lol, wow, that takes guts. This is where your contract will save you.
"While I do understand that you want to make a statement with the cake, the only person who can make changes to the order is the person who signed the contract. So, if you would like to talk to your daughter about your thoughts, she can let me know if she wants to make changes and I will happily do so.
Thanks for your interest in the cake- it's important to me too!"

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 7

This meddling MOB would also get the same answer from the wedding gown shop--"we will have to check with the bride before any changes can be made".

Why can't she just email her daughter and say she will pay for an extra tier of decorated cake? Or maybe she can pay for a grooms cake with the couple's permission?

Or is she trying to also bully the daughter's choice of cake design? In which case you want nothing to do with her.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 7

Oh BOY!! Does that remind me on a similar situation I have once icon_sad.gif I did end up making the cake bigger (the bride was not as involved as yours seems to be) and found out that ALL the extra cake added on was left over. The MOB was very much afraid the cake would not serve enough nor look grand enough. I was rather new in the business and didn't know how to stand up to the MOB icon_smile.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 7

Ug..we've managed to get MOB back in her happy place.
I replied that I'd only make changes at the bride's request, told mom what the two of had been discussing in terms of staging to make the cake table more "impressive".
Mom want to meet with her daughter and I to get it settled. I agreed to that.
Six hours later she tells me she bought a silver cake stand on E-bay and is satisfied with that.
She did offer to sell me the stand after the wedding. icon_rolleyes.gif

Please Lord, don't let me be like that when my daughter's start to marry.

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%