My Fondant Is Still Tearing A Little Bit! What To Do?

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 11:32pm by Bobeba

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:28am
post #1 of 4

Am I rolling my fondant too thin? I know I tend towards thinner vs. thicker fondant since a lot of people don't like a thick piece of fondant on their buttercream. But last night as I'm putting the fondant on a 9" round 3 layer cake, the fondant kept wanting to tear around the bottom. The edges look great and so do the rest of it but at various points along the bottom their are little tears. Is it just going to take me even more practice?

3 replies
Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 4

It could be because it is too thin. When I have tearing problems, it usually occurs at the corners. Sometimes tearing on the sides or the bottom could be due to handling it too much. Perhaps the fondant got a bit dry while you were smoothing it. Most of my problems centre around fondant being too dry, not kneaded enough. Try kneading it more or warming it up a bit (with your hands) before laying it on your cake. Best of luck.

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 4

I have only ever used MMF....so with that being said my advice is limitied...but for me if it starts tearing I dampen my hands under the faucet and re-knead it so that it becomes a bit sticky and that helps it hold together for me...if all else fails is there anyway you could add a decorative border at the bottom and just hide the part that looks less than perfect thumbs_up.gif

Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 4

If the tear is small rub so e veg shortening on the tear and it usually mends itself back together. Worst case scenario, put a decoration on top,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%