Making Figures Etc From Fondant/gumpaste In Advance.

Decorating By cherishu2 Updated 1 Jul 2012 , 10:45pm by lenagc

cherishu2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherishu2 Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake in July. However, I dont arrive home from holiday, until 4 days before the cake needs to be delivered. So i would like to make the gumpaste figures in advance.
How long do they keep, if I do them 2 weeks in advance will they be any good?

5 replies
lenagc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenagc Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 6

When I do my figures, I usually do them weeks in advance, as long as they don't get dust on them or get wet, they last forever. I just put them in a box until I'm ready to use them. My customers have told me they still have my figures even years later. Good luck on your order.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome to the forum. As lenagc said, they'll keep for years.

Best way to store them: NON-air-tight container (cardboard cake box, for instance). Keep them in the dark as much as possible to avoid "fading" of the colors.

If the figures are delicate, place a piece of eggcrate foam on the bottom of your box. Non-skid shelf liner is also good.

Dark purple colors are notorious for fading, just so ya know.

lenagc Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with Apti. also welcome to the forum. I've just posted a cake with baby princess figures on it, I did these weeks in advance, and they were just fine.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenagc

I agree with Apti. also welcome to the forum. I've just posted a cake with baby princess figures on it, I did these weeks in advance, and they were just fine.

WOW, LENAGC!!!!! I just took at look at your photo gallery and your cakes are AWESOME!

lenagc Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 6

Awe!! Thank you so much, Apti, that means so much to me. I took 8 months off due to health issues and I wasn't sure I was going to get back into cakes again, but I've been blessed with good health now and I'm back in the groove, ( cake groove that is) so your comment means so very much. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%