Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By coachjrob Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 6:28pm by BlueRose8302

coachjrob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coachjrob Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 6

How far in advance can you do a frozen buttercream transfer? I have a cake I'm doing for next Saturday and I would like to start the transfer today because it has a lot of detail work and I don't want to take any chances by putting it off until the last minute. I would just keep it in the freezer until the cake is ready on Friday night then keep the cake in the fridge. What do you think?

5 replies
tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 6

I have done them a week in advance. As long as nothing falls or dents it, it should be fine.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 12:12am
post #3 of 6

You can do it a month ahead of time. Keep it in an airtight container.

DO NOT use crisco or any brand of shortening that is "trans fat-free". It won't harden up to get the transfer onto the cake...I learned the hard way last summer.

Check the nutritional facts on the label--there should be about 0.5 gram trans fat per "serving" a tablespoon of shortening. I find the house brands to be the "good old" trans fat stuff that sets nice and firm.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:55am
post #4 of 6

I'm so glad to hear this, because I want to make my 1st transfer ever, but I wanted to make it ahead of time.
Are you saying you don't need to use frosting with butter in it as long as the shortening has transfat? Thanks.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 6

For frozen transfers, I use icing that has ONLY shortening, sugar and a little corn syrup and almond extract. Ditto for buttercream flowers.

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 6

I LOVE frozen buttercream transfers! Make sure that you buttercream is at least half or mostly butter. Crisco is fine to use--but you have to have butter as well. They have to be in the freezer for at least 2 hours but I have had them in there for a few days. Don't add anything like piping gel to the icing as it makes it too soft and won't freeze. If you need black icing, use the kind you can buy in the grocery store. It is less likely to bleed. Good luck! You're gonna love this technique! I use it all the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%