Please Help - How Do I Put A Large Cake On A Decorated Drum?

Decorating By Jasmin32 Updated 29 Jun 2012 , 10:02pm by icer101

Jasmin32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmin32 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys, I am making a very large sheet cake tomorrow (which will be shaped into an open book), (16''x20'') which I am creating by joining 10x10'' cakes together and cutting it where needed.

For the board I am covering it in fondant and have a design to do on it.

My question is how and when do I put the cake on the board? As I shall be butter creaming all the shapes together and cutting it where I need to, and then covering it in fondant, if I do this while it's on the board I could ruin the board? However if I cover the cake in fondant and then try to transfer it onto the board it's very likely I will crack the cake and the layers will not stay together.

Thanks everyone for your answers in advance!

Jasmin...

4 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 5

Decorate on a regular cake board cut to size so u can't see it then transfer to the drum

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

Yah, put the cake on a board the same size (or very close to it) as the cake; then ice/decorate before placing on the drum.

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Manddi. I also add some clear packing tape between the cake board and the drum to keep the cake from sliding too much.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5

all you have to do to glue the cake(board ) to the fondant covered board is take a brush and wet the board litely (this will make glue and the cake board will dry to the fondant covered board. Leaned that when i first learned to cover boards with fondant. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%