Having A Lot Of Fondant Trouble Help Please

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 29 Jun 2012 , 10:40pm by Pearl645

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

What does humidity do to fondant? It is blistering hot today and I am melting and my fondant is tearing. Plain white homemade fondant with no food colouring. I have made the fondant twice today and had to dump the 1st batch. Bear in mind I have been making fondant for 3 yrs now. I have reached the stage where the fondant is pulling apart as it should which is how I test when it is ready to be rolled out and applied but today for some strange reason my fondant is very sticky. It is showing the regular signs when pulling apart of fondant that has enough sugar yet it is sticky in my hands. Is this due to the humidity? I used chocolate ganache on my cakes and it came out beautiful but my fondant is tearing at the top of the square cakes. I'm just going to a cake store now to buy ready-made fondant. Feeling devastated. Seeing $$ going down the drain and the cake is due tom lunch time and I'm working on sugar flowers. Any advice on how to deal with this the next time?

6 replies
Pearl645 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 7

The only fondant I can get is wilton ready to use white rolled fondant. Frightened to buy it cuz of all the bad reviews I have seen online.

rgraboski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgraboski Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Pearl -
It is seldom that hot in No. Ca, but when it is I just know my fondant will be too soft and tear. So, I clear out a shelf in my refrigerator, roll the fondant to size on my silplat, then put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to firm up and get a bit stiff. I also put the tier I'm working on in the freezer for about 1/2 hour so that it is really firm on the outside (but certainly frozen through and through). Then, when I am ready, grab the cake out of the freezer, grab the silplat mat with fondant attached and lay the firmer fondant over the cake and do the smoothing thing.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 7

Add some Tylose to the fondant and it will be ok. Been there 2 weeks ago - almost 95 % humidity, higher temperatures and raining the whole week, my fondant was behaving exactly as yours (never before).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 7

........only fondant I can get is wilton..... Frightened to buy it cuz of all the bad reviews ........

I am probably the only one who thinks Wilton isn't all that badicon_smile.gif I add lots of extra flavoring to it.

Pearl645 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 7

I bought the wilton fondant. Tastes very artificial. It is an acquired taste but hey it went on very well on the darn cake and I am very glad! Time is of the essence here! Didn't add any flavouring to it...didn't want to dampen the fondant and then risk adding in too much PS.

Pearl645 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panel7124

Add some Tylose to the fondant and it will be ok. Been there 2 weeks ago - almost 95 % humidity, higher temperatures and raining the whole week, my fondant was behaving exactly as yours (never before).

I saw someone else say Sharon Zambito says to add some tylose to fondant to help it hold up well esp for tall cakes. Thanks for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%