My Layered Cake Keeps Crumbling! How Do I Avoid This?

Decorating By munching_on_cookies Updated 5 Jul 2012 , 3:10pm by munching_on_cookies

munching_on_cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
munching_on_cookies Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 6

I tried making a layered cake for the first time a few weeks ago and I noticed that when I started to apply my mousse and curd layers, the cake began to crack. Even worse, the top layer ended up breaking when I tried to place it on the finished layers. Can anyone help me out? I want to make more layered cakes, but I would like them to stay intact icon_smile.gif

5 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 6

Its sounds as though the layers aren't completely level. When I use a filling that is fluffy or gooey, I always use a buttercream dam. I make the buttercream thicker by adding more powdered sugar, and pipe around the perimeter on the cake before filling it. It will help things from oozing out, and it will make your cake more stable. But first things first, make sure your layers are level, for small cakes the small Wilton leveler will do the job just fine

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 6

Most decorators freeze their layers even for a little while, even up to several months. This makes them more moist and easier to handle. Of course thaw them until cold and you will be able to handle them better. hth Someone just had a thread about handling cold cakes a little while ago. look that up under new posts.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:48am
post #4 of 6

You mentioned that this is your first layer cake. You may just have a bad recipe. So many novice bakers think they can't bake and it's the recipe. I would suggest that you post the flavor that you want and we can give you some stable recipes to try.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 7:40am
post #5 of 6

Try working with a very cold cake!

munching_on_cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
munching_on_cookies Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 6

Wow! Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll definitely try freezing the cake longer to see if it will help as well as leveling it more.
My family enjoys chocolate cakes so it would be awesome if someone could suggest a more stable chocolate layered cake recipe like scp1127 mentioned?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%