I Now Love Working With Cold Cakes!

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 3 Jul 2012 , 12:41pm by Bluehue

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 24

I now swear by working with cold cakes when levelling and torting. Prior to this I used to work with room temperature cakes and cakes would break because of how light and soft they were. I had my red velvet cakes thawing today and worked with them while still cold and it was so easy to pick up each layer and rest it on the cake layer below with a BC filling with no breakage! Talk about a confidence boost. Do you all work with cold cakes and find it easier as well? icon_smile.gif really happy right now.

23 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 24

Some cakes do well cold, others don't. I've heard torting a cold chocolate mudcake is an exercise in futility.

Pearl645 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 24

I don't even know what a mud cake is but I met a guy from NY who said mud cakes are amazing!

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 24

I totally agree - at least for the cakes I've made! (haven't tried the mud cake although it sounds wonderful) It makes life sooooo much easier when the cakes are still a bit frozen.

Pearl645 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 24

What is a mud cake? Do you cover it with fondant and do yal use it for wedding cakes?

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 24

I find it easier to work with cold cakd too.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 24

Cold cakes, yes. love to work with them. I still use the same size board as the cake when i torte them. For me, i can handle the thinner layers better.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 24

80% of my Wedding business is Mud Cakes...
Whether Dark Chocolate - White Chocolate or somewhere inbetween - flavour them with what ever you wish - cherry ripes - peppermint - coffeee - rum - morello cherries........etc etc etc

And yes - i always work with cold cakes.
As some have already stated - so much easier when handling - torting - filling and stacking. No crumbs - no mess.

Mud Cakes = a dense moist cake.
Very suitable for all weathers
Will stay dense and moist for at least 5 days.

99% of the time they are torted and filled with a ganache...again - flavoured to the customers wishes.

Most popular cake here in Australia.

Bluehue

Pearl645 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Whether Dark Chocolate - White Chocolate or somewhere inbetween - flavour them with what ever you wish - cherry ripes - peppermint - coffeee - rum - morello cherries........etc etc etc

As some have already stated - so much easier when handling - torting - filling and stacking. No crumbs - no mess.

99% of the time they are torted and filled with a ganache...again - flavoured to the customers wishes.

Bluehue

So is wasc considered a mud cake? I always thought a mud cake was a chocolate cake with some chocolate filling!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 24

My cake isn't just cold...it's frozen! And they're wonderful! I bake on a Tuesday for weekend cakes and take them out of the freezer to fill and frost. No waiting. No mess. Much easier to carve and torte as well.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 24

carmijok, what do you use to torte your frozen layers. i too freeze, but let thaw(not all the way) You are saying you torte while they are frozen. I do use an agbay leveler. tia You can see i am still following you(first your cream cheese icing and now how you torte your frozen layers. lol!!! Been decorating 17 yrs, but still like to try other decorators methods. WE learn from each other.

cindynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindynes Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 24

this is how I roll, ha ha:
first after the cakes have been baked and completely cool I level them if necessary and then torte them, but here comes the real easy part (for later) I slip a piece of parchment paper between the torted layers and then freeze the cake for up to two weeks (I plan way ahead ha ha).
Second, when the cakes need to be filled they are so easy to pull apart because of the parchment paper.
Third, crumb coating a frozen cake is so easy to do, and then pop it back into the freezer for about an hour.
Forth, give cake it's final finish coat of buttercream and cover with fondant if that's what your plan is.
So, basically through the whole process you are working with a nice cold cake that doesn't fall apart and doesn't lose a lot of crumbs when frosting. I would never ever try to torte or frost a warm cake ever again!!!
Happy Baking icon_biggrin.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

carmijok, what do you use to torte your frozen layers. i too freeze, but let thaw(not all the way) You are saying you torte while they are frozen. I do use an agbay leveler. tia You can see i am still following you(first your cream cheese icing and now how you torte your frozen layers. lol!!! Been decorating 17 yrs, but still like to try other decorators methods. WE learn from each other.

Honestly if I had an agbay I would do what YOU do! icon_lol.gif

I'm afraid my torting is not always the best, which is why I like doing it frozen. I actually stand my cake layer on its side and kind of roll and cut around slowly eyeballing it until I mark it all the way around and then I roll again and slowly cut down through where I marked it. Being frozen they don't smoosh. After cutting through I put one toothpick in the top layer and another directly under it so I can match them after I dam and fill. I haven't torted really large cakes. My average size is around 10" to 12" for the largest so I don't know how my so-called 'method' would work for anything over that. Like I said...I'd stick with the agbay! Wish I had one! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

vgcea Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 1:36am
post #14 of 24

I see all these posts about filling and covering cold cakes. I tried it once with SMBC and ended up with so many bubbles under the BC as the cake came to room temperature on the counter. What could I have done differently to prevent the bubbles?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 1:41am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Honestly if I had an agbay I would do what YOU do! icon_lol.gif

I'm afraid my torting is not always the best, which is why I like doing it frozen. I actually stand my cake layer on its side and kind of roll and cut around slowly eyeballing it until I mark it all the way around and then I roll again and slowly cut down through where I marked it. Being frozen they don't smoosh. After cutting through I put one toothpick in the top layer and another directly under it so I can match them after I dam and fill. I haven't torted really large cakes. My average size is around 10" to 12" for the largest so I don't know how my so-called 'method' would work for anything over that. Like I said...I'd stick with the agbay! Wish I had one! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Carmijok--Here's a method that lets you get a nice line for your tort:
"Using Wilton's new Cake Marker to achieve level, torted cakes!"

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=156076&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

I've also used the toothpick to mark my place in each torted layer, but recently saw a suggestion to simply run a line of buttercream down the pre-torted cake layer with your finger. Works the same way to "mark" the spot. (Courtesy of Tami Utley tutorial.)
----------
I've wanted an Agbay FOREVER!!! (Well, ok...not forever, just a year and a half.....). I keep seeing Suze Orman in my face every time I wish to order one saying, "Can You Afford It?".

Then I sigh deeply, remove my finger from the order button.....and go pay bills.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 1:55am
post #16 of 24

I have a problem if I try to ice a cold or frozen cake with condensation forming. How do you all get around the waterfall down the tiers?

Bluehue Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 11:27am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Bluehue

So is wasc considered a mud cake? I always thought a mud cake was a chocolate cake with some chocolate filling!

Pearl - i am not sure what is in all WASC cakes - but here is a link showing the list of Mud Cakes.
Mud Cakes are much denser than your everyday mud cake - that is for sure.
Very moist...

http://cakecentral.com/?s=CHOCOLATE+MUD+CAKES&type=recipe
and here is a link showing a thread that was started last year - for those who wanted to make a mud cake.http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=726071&highlight=mud

It does have recipes dotted here and there throughout the thread...
Hope this helps you pearl.
Bluehue

miwhitern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miwhitern Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 1:13am
post #18 of 24

I have iced cold cakes and have gotten big air bubbles under my buttercream. How do yall prevent that?

Maishelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maishelle Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 1:39am
post #19 of 24

Hi, I have also started assembling my cakes while they are frozen. It is so much easier. I am also having the problem of my frosting getting air bubbles underneath the frosting and then the frosting falling off of my cakes.

Should I crumb coat the frozen cakes and then let them thaw before I finish them? Any ideas? Thanks, Maishelle

vgcea Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 5:35am
post #20 of 24

bumping for answers to the last 2 questions...

Bluehue Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 11:29am
post #21 of 24

Remembering that i am in Australia and not 100% up on the different cakes and fillings others use..... so in saying that....

I never fill a frozen cake - cold yes, but never frozen.
As the cake thaws the added moisture from the *frozen* cake can contribute to how your filling and crumb coat either stays or decides to fall/slide off.

The added moisture needs to escape (so to speak) and by being locked in due to the filling and crumb coat i am thinking that this is why some are finding air bubbles in thier filling.

I would suggest (and its only my thoughts) that the cake be allowed to thaw before filling.

This is differrent to a cold cake.

Something that i do do is....

After my cake is baked - i tort it into its layers...
Then stacking it back up again with freezer bags in between each layer.
Freezer bags work a treat as they make seperating the layers so easy when need be.

When i take my frozen cake from the freezer DURING THE DAY, i unwrap the glad wrap - seperate the layers - and after about 15 minutes my layers are ready to fillled and then stacked again.

IF i take my frozen cake out of the freezer at night time before i go to bed, i just leave it as a whole cake on the bench..... then in the morning - upwrap and seperate the layers.

After filling my cake and stacking the layers back up again - i lay sheets of baking paper on top - then place my extrememly heavy bread board on top - so as to help with the settling process.

I leave my cake like this for at least 3 hours.

Then i do my outter layer/crumb coat - which is ganache.
After this process has been done, i again place baking paper on top and put the extremely heavy bread board back on top - I then leave my cake for at least 6 hours - mostly oivernight.

As ganache does not have to be refridgerated - i am safe in doing this.
I understand that many use perishable fillings - and that thier *weighted cake* would need to go into a fridg.

Please...this is how I do it - i am not saying this is how it must be done....just adding a suggestion to this thread....it may help some.
Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Maishelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maishelle Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:39pm
post #22 of 24

Thank you for helping me with this. I am going to try some of your ideas and from now on I will not frost frozen cakes. I am sure that is why all of a sudden I am having a problem with my frosting falling off of my cakes. Your explanation really helped. icon_smile.gif

vgcea Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 8:31am
post #23 of 24

Thanks Bluehue!

Bluehue Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:41pm
post #24 of 24

Oh you are both most welcome - i just find that these things work for me - so hopefully they wiil help and work for you too. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%