Do You Decorate Your Client's Wedding Cake Table?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 4:46pm by scp1127

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 2:53am
post #1 of 6

I had a situation where I delivered a wedding cake to the venue and the wedding decorator brought the cake photo to me and asked where were all the rose petals for the table. It was the 1st time I was ever asked that by a decorator. The cake photo the bride gave me had the table fully covered in rose petals but she and I never discussed that part. All we discussed was the cake. Was I at fault for not asking? Do you always ask your client if someone will be decorating the cake or it is understood that the wedding cake decorator handles only the cake and never the table decorations? What was interesting was that this wedding decorator brought wedding cake cutters for the bride but didn't bring the cake table petals. In the end we decided to keep terms good with the wedding decorator and we went out to buy the rose petals and came back and decorated the table. We incurred the extra cost. What would you have done in that situation?

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 3:00am
post #2 of 6

Given that brides can be flaky, just add it to your list to ask when you are writing the contract. This is a grey zone.

If the bride wants to match her bouquets with petals on the cake table, then she needs to buy those flowers and she needs to tell her florist that. You need to remind her in writing to order matching flowers for the table.

Then you take over and add them onto the table as per her picture. THINK--do you want somebody else flipping stuff around next to your cake?

Other stuff like table cloth(s) and cutting knife are normally the business of the caterer/venue. But Wilton used to advise decorators to sell decorated knives for wedding cakes, at a profit of course.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 3:19am
post #3 of 6

Okay yes this makes sense. It is a grey area. Thanks for the advice.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 3:54am
post #4 of 6

oh for the good old days when all we had to do is bake a simple wedding cake. After similar problems I make a point to touch base with the wedding designer/planner/etc to make sure we are all on the same page. For years, I assumed the bride, designer, planner or venue would provide the table and setting but I learned that's frequently not the case. I want the cake to be shown at its best so now I either work with the bride for an additional charge to do cake table, cloth etc. and backdrop if needed. Otherwise I coordinate with the planner. I live in a very small town and know the few people who do wedding planning in the area so it's not a big deal for either of us.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 6

I actually have a portion of my contract that addresses this. I will do the decorating IF they leave the decorations, clean, assembled, and ready to be used at the reception venue, or delivered to me ahead of time. I will purchase the decorations IF we agree ahead of time that is my responsibility and IF they pay for them. Make sense? I never leave anything open to interpretation when it comes to what a couple is expecting, and what I am providing.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6

I'm with april. I offer the whole service, so it is spelled out just like you "real" cake decorators (I'm a cake coverer) detail your cakes in your contracts.

Just add like you would anything else for the cake. It can be a great add-on revenue for your business. I do it all from fabrics, flowers, confetti, candles, any other decor, to actual dessert or candy bar compliments. It's spelled out just like the other details with prices and rental (deposits too) in the balance of the cake.

If you want more money, consider this option. I am an experienced seamstress and I never even break out the sewing machine. It's done with folding, gathering, cutting, and some ironing to make simulated hems. The rest is just getting familiar with what is available and calculating your time to gather, pack, make the display, and pack up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%