3 Tier Cake For 30 People? What Pan Size Do I Need?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 28 Jun 2012 , 3:08pm by CupcakeQT82

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 4:12am
post #1 of 8

someone wants a 3 tier cake for 30 people. I dont think it possible. I have not idea what pan sizes to use....any suggestions?

7 replies
littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 4:39am
post #2 of 8

A 4",6",8" would get you close. A 6 and 8 is 36 servings, plus I'm guessing 6-8 more for a 4"? But I'd still be charging them for the full number of servings.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 5:42am
post #3 of 8

you can get WELL over the amount of servings of 30 people for a 3 tiered cake! just a 6" and 8" round alone will serve 34. the next size would either be a 4" for the top or a 10" for the bottom...and you definitely don't need a 10" cake.

sometimes you have to educate the person receiving the cake on how much cake they need (if they are ordering)...they may THINK they need 3 tiers when in fact they could only do one 2 layered cake, 8" square.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 5:51am
post #4 of 8

Can one tier be a 6" styrofoam circle or a cake dummy? The other tiers: top a 4", bottom tier a 8". Just a thought!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 8

If a customer wants the look of a three tiered cake then you work with that. Tellng them "they only need 2 tiers for the servings" is totally missing the point.

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 8

You could possibly do like someone mentioned, educate the person on the servings that each tier renders and if its the height they are looking for , I did this cake for a babyshower of 30-35 people and this is a 3 -full 2inch layer 8 inch round with a single 6 layer on top

http://media.cakecentral.com/gallery/45193/600-1318549805.jpg

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 8

Yep, 4-6-8 x 4" is exactly 30 servings (at 12 cubic inches per serving)

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 8

First tell them how much each size pan will serve. Then tell them about what size for each pan you would need to get their total number. YOu could always offer a dummy cake for the bottom or top tier, charge them your dummy price, then get your total.
I had a customer tell me she wanted a cake to serve around 25 for this fourth of july. I emailed her the picture of the cake (replica) and she didn't think it would feed 25. She said "well, our family loves cake so I just want to be sure there is enough." I emailed her the actual Wilton cake pan serving chart and told her if she wanted to be sure there is "enough" cake she would have to order more cake, i.e. a bigger cake with more servings. Some people don't understand that a serving size is the standard and you can't account for huge servings per person just because they like cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%