Torting A Cake

Decorating By Rosita0547 Updated 3 Jul 2012 , 2:22am by Rosita0547

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 2:10am
post #1 of 4

I have a question......I use 2" cake pans, I bake the cake, then I cut the top off to level it. Then I cut the cake in half to make 2 layers, but I notice my layers are very thin. Should I not cut it in half? To make a bigger size cake ( 12" round) should I just level it by cutting off the top and make 3 of these for a 3 layer cake? Or just make 2 , cut them in half and make it a 4 layer? Any advice??

3 replies
YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 3:28am
post #2 of 4

I normally bake two 2" tall cake rounds. I torte each one in half and put aside one of the layers so I use 3. Then put filling between each layer (you end up with two layers of filling). Once the cake is iced it'll measure 4".

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 3:39am
post #3 of 4

Really, the standard is anywhere between 4" and 6" high. The amount of times you torte the cake is up to you. Some people leave the layers at 1/4" thick and do a lot of them. It all depends on the cake and the style.

However, At a minimum, the cake should be 4" high. And, I can't picture most cakes having more than two inches without some sort of filling.

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:22am
post #4 of 4

Thank you, so I guess I am doing it correct, I always make the cake after being iced 4" high.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%