"that's The Best Frosting I've Ever Had" Issues

Baking By PinkLotus Updated 24 Jun 2012 , 8:50pm by ktbeths

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone made this before? I know there's probably a "real" term for it, but that's what I've found it called online. It's the icing recipe where you cook flour and milk and add it to butter and sugar. I followed the directions exactly, and mine came out looking slightly curdled. The taste is amazing, but I can't use it because it just doesn't look right. It's got that shiny, just about to curdle or just barely started to curdle look to it. I beat it on the speed the recipe said for the amount of time the recipe recommended...when it came out looking like that, I tried beating it for longer, but it made no difference.
Any suggestions?

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 8

Can you post the recipe? I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 8

Did you get the flour/milk mixture thick enough? That happened to me once and Im pretty sure it was because I didn't cook the mixture long enough. The next time I made it I cooked it until it was like a stiff pudding. You really have to whisk it like crazy at that point, and as soon you take it off the heat, keep whisking until it is smooth. Put plastic wrap right on top of the mix so it doesn't form a skin and then let it cool completely.

Hth

D.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 8

I think I've made this before and had it curdle. I just beat the crud out of it. It that fails can you put it through a sieve to get the lumps out?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 8

If the final icing looks like it's going to curdle, add an ounce of soft butter and keep beating.

I normally use 1+1/4 cups butter when the recipe says 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter. I also use 1/2 pound powdered sugar instead of the cup of granulated, it saves about 5 mixing minutes.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 8

You're making French bc and you will develop your whisking muscles really well if you use it a lot. icon_wink.gif

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I absolutely love the taste of this stuff, so I really want to master it.
Bobwonderbuns, here's the recipe I used...

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

ktbeths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbeths Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 8

The same thing happened to me on Thursday. It was a curdled mess. I used my Kitchen Aid and kept beating it for about 20 minutes. NO luck. It didn't even taste good! I just poured it all down the sink and used Bettercreme with cream cheese and white chocolate. Bettercreme is TOO sweet for me but I had to frost with something!! I'll try this again another day, but I was SOO disappointed!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%