Baking By horsecrazy247 Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 7:37pm by carmijok

horsecrazy247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horsecrazy247 Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 5:04am
post #1 of 4

i have been using wilton fondat some but wanting to know what others use for gumpast what they use to make it. also saw somthing called CMC powder to that you add to fondant

3 replies
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 6:25am
post #2 of 4

Add Tylose powder. I've read on here (can't remember who it was, used powdered Polindent (sp) the stuff for dentures.)

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 4

Tylose is the same as CMC (stands for caarboxy-methyl-cellulose).

Add it to the Wilton dry mix before you add the water--one teaspoon CMC for the entire 1lb package. Mix the powders together well before adding water.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 4

Just buy the Wilton pre-made gum paste. I really like it. It dries fast and hard and you can roll it really thin for flowers and bows. I've always found that adding Tylose to fondant makes it hard, but it's not easy to get thin without it cracking.

I used a mix of the gum paste and fondant to make a couple of giraffes and I was really pleased with how smooth it was. I didn't necessarily want it to dry immediately and it didn't, yet it dried fairly quickly considering how thick it was in certain areas.

I just print a Michaels or Hobby Lobby 40% coupon online and get it that way. So much easier than mixing it and hoping it comes out OK. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%