Acrylic Tube Separators ..helppppp

Decorating By Iheartcakealot Updated 25 Jun 2012 , 1:49am by CWR41

Iheartcakealot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcakealot Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 4

HELP!PLEASE!

Im using them for the first time on a four tiered cake and these separator are basically supporting the whole cake...These are the ones I will be using http://www.cakecraftworld.co.uk/viewproddetails.asp?pc=CUL7308

I was wondering about the structure.....

I was planning to assemble it like this (from bottom to top tier)

Cake board
40cm cake with dowels
Separator
Cake board
30cm cake with dowels
Separator
Cake board
20cm cake with dowels
separator
Cake booard
10cm cake.

The tiers will only be glued to the separator with royal icing...
Will this be stable enough do you think?

thank youuu! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartcakealot

Im using them for the first time on a four tiered cake and these separator are basically supporting the whole cake...

The separators aren't supporting the whole cake--your support system is (dowels)... the tubes are acting as spacers. It isn't very stable, but as long as you aren't trying to transport assembled or nobody bumps the table too hard--it should be fine. Even with RI glued on the rim of each tube, the tiers are basically balancing on top and could shift.

Make sure your 10cm cake is on a larger board or it will fall down inside the tube.

Iheartcakealot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcakealot Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Im using them for the first time on a four tiered cake and these separator are basically supporting the whole cake...

The separators aren't supporting the whole cake--your support system is (dowels)... the tubes are acting as spacers. It isn't very stable, but as long as you aren't trying to transport assembled or nobody bumps the table too hard--it should be fine. Even with RI glued on the rim of each tube, the tiers are basically balancing on top and could shift.

Make sure your 10cm cake is on a larger board or it will fall down inside the tube.

Thank you! Yes ...my cake board is bigger than the tube icon_razz.gif

I might have to drill a hole through the plastic separators so i can pass a long wooden dowel through the centre which will keep all the tiers together?

I'm assembling on site and it will just be moved on a table with wheels for like 1 or 2 metres thats it icon_razz.gif i dont think it should be a problem then icon_smile.gif

thank you for the advice! icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 1:49am
post #4 of 4
Quote:

I might have to drill a hole through the plastic separators so i can pass a long wooden dowel through the centre which will keep all the tiers together?

It isn't necessary. A center dowel will help to prevent the tiers from sliding apart from one another during transport when fully assembled, but isn't much help if it's assembled on the table and isn't being moved. Besides, the center rod will show through the clear acrylic tubes and look tacky, while not serving a purpose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%