Is This Bettercreme?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 20 Jun 2012 , 9:34pm by Annabakescakes

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 15

Hi guys,

Can anyone confirm if this is the same as the Betercreme (that can be used as a filling in unrefridergerated cakes) sold at Sams?

http://www.richwhip.com/rich-whip.php

Thanks!!

14 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 15

I would say it would make a good equivalent if it can be left out of the fridge for at least seven days. The Bettercreme comes in a pink container and it says it can be left out at room temperature for that long.

The taste is probably identical. Bettercreme tastes exactly like Cool Whip to me.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 15

This is Bettercreme.

http://richsfoodservice.com/products/desserts/toppings-icings-fillings-finishers/bettercreme-cake-icings-pre-whipped-pails/vanilla-bettercreme-icing/11092

They have really updated the packaging since I bought it about two years ago. I personally did not like it at all so I never bought it again. But at my local food distributor I was able to purchase it in half-gallon sizes as well.

This is a crappy picture of the old packaging.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/189116/Rich-Bettercreme-Liquid-Chocolate-Icing-and-Filling-8.8-Pound.htm

CiNoRi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 15

Yeah i know, i normally buy the buckets from sams but lately i havent needed to buy it in such large quantities.... I saw the Rich Whip yesterday at the grocery store and thought if this works, it would be perfect to buy it there.

I have just heard that not all Rich's Whipped products are the same .... so I'm hoping someone can confirm if this will still work for me?

Ritacake22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritacake22 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 15

This looks like a similar product but different brand.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 15

Its made by the same people, and it looks like the same product, but if it is marketed as a topping, I would think it would be a bit less sweet, which would be a good thing. Try it! I used their product locater and there isn't any within a 30 mile radius of me.

CiNoRi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Its made by the same people, and it looks like the same product, but if it is marketed as a topping, I would think it would be a bit less sweet, which would be a good thing. Try it! I used their product locater and there isn't any within a 30 mile radius of me.

The product locator didnt show it for me either...I had looked before... but i just happened to see it a local store... go figure!

Im game for less sweet, i usually mix it with sweet stuff anywho... i just want the non-refrigeration icon_wink.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 15

I mix it with sweet stuff too, but even if I mix it with cocoa powder, I still find it intensely sweet. Where was it located? Frozen dessert? Dairy? I'll have to poke around for it... How was the pricing?

CiNoRi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 15

it was not with the cool whip and such like I would have expected... it was tucked back with some frozen breakfast stuff. It was an odd place to be so id almost take a look at all the freezer area at your stores.

about 2-3 dollars for a pint... more expensive than say sams... but not bad if you dont want to store that big bucket lol

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 15

I get bettercream for $5 a qt at GFS, then whip it at the bakery. Once I get my account at bakemart, I can buy a case of qts for the price of a few of them, so I have been told...

CiNoRi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 15

nice! I'll have to look into that. Right know we are moving/ trying to set up a new kitchen, sooo once that is all settled, getting/ keeping stock will be so much easier.

over the last few months I have been just buying as i need, and cutting down on storing.

And like i said, i dont use Bettercreme as much as I used to, if I can get it in these smaller packages, it would be sooooo much easier!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 15

I have not seen the product anywhere but My guess is it will be much more like CoolWhip than Bettercreme.......that is *VERY!* soft - full of water icon_sad.gif
Bettercreme is much more like sweetened whipped cream - can be beaten up stiff where as CoolWhip cannot.

CiNoRi Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 12:27pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I have not seen the product anywhere but My guess is it will be much more like CoolWhip than Bettercreme.......that is *VERY!* soft - full of water icon_sad.gif
Bettercreme is much more like sweetened whipped cream - can be beaten up stiff where as CoolWhip cannot.

hmm i didn't think about that....

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 7:12pm
post #14 of 15

Bettercream is a frosting the product you listed is a whipped topping. If you are adding instant puddings it will be ok because the pudding will stabilize the filling but I wouldn't use it to frost a cake.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 9:34pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Bettercream is a frosting the product you listed is a whipped topping. If you are adding instant puddings it will be ok because the pudding will stabilize the filling but I wouldn't use it to frost a cake.

Rich's topping is pretty stiff, we topped the pumpkin pies at Frisch's with it when I worked there. But, I still agree with this statement. I was thinking the puddings would be best, maybe not anything that would thin it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%