Airbrush

Decorating By davea Updated 28 Dec 2012 , 1:49pm by mi_patisserie

davea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davea Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 7

Hello
I'm looking into an airbrush, and have a basic question. Is any airbrush good, or does it have to be cake-specific? Obviously it would be used exclusively for cake once purchased, but is any brand or type good?

Thanks
Dave

6 replies
CarolWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolWI Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 7

You can use any airbrush. I bought mine thru TCP Global with Americolor kit. After my husband saw how nice it worked....he had to get one just like it to use for painting the guns he builds. I was lucky enough to be able to run my thoughts/choices through a cake decorator at Lucks to make my purchasing choice. Good luck on your venture in researching for the one you like best; it can definitely be overwhelming.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 12:06am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolWI

You can use any airbrush. I bought mine thru TCP Global with Americolor kit. After my husband saw how nice it worked....he had to get one just like it to use for painting the guns he builds. I was lucky enough to be able to run my thoughts/choices through a cake decorator at Lucks to make my purchasing choice. Good luck on your venture in researching for the one you like best; it can definitely be overwhelming.

Hi CarolWI
S-o-o, enquiring minds want to know: Which airbrush EXACTLY did you -and hubby- get?

CarolWI Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 10:08am
post #4 of 7

S-o-o for all those enquiring minds icon_biggrin.gif we got the Master TC-20T. Like I said, I bought mine as a set with Americolor sku # ABD KIT-CAKE-20T

To check it out, it's in the left column, 2nd kit listed from the bottom of page
http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/cakesys.aspx

cakeman76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeman76 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 7

So whats the best kit out there? Have read mixed reviews on the tcp overheating.

CarolWI Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 7

I have not had any problems with the Master unit overheating, but then I don't use it everyday for long periods of time as I am just a hobbyist, therefore I don't require a heavy duty compressor. Reviews can be tough to go by as everyone has their personal preference and comparisons. I was truly overwhelmed with the options, reviews, and suggestions at the time of my search.

I guess a good question to ask is....how often & at what lengths of time are you requiring the airbrush?

mi_patisserie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mi_patisserie Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 7

How long do you use yours? I just got one for Christmas and it is the exact model as yours. But I painted a 6" round cake (first time using it) and it over heated. Is it supposed to have an automatic shut off? Because maybe mine is not working properly...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%