Need Help Pricing This One

Business By tKpNikki Updated 18 Jun 2012 , 8:27pm by cai0311

tKpNikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tKpNikki Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I could really use opinions on pricing this one. I made this for fun for my niece's birthday. It's 8" 6 layer vanilla flavor with buttercream filling. Everything, except for the wire to hold dolphins, is edible. I now have a lot of requests for it and people asking for a price. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

2 replies
tKpNikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tKpNikki Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 3

No idea why it's posting so many of the rainbow picture. Sorry.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 3

There are many, many, many posts about pricing. I suggest doing a quick search in the forums.

Basically, you must calculate what you have in the cake (and this is not just flour, sugar, eggs...it is also electricity, water, paper towels, soap, insurance, licensing fee...) and your hourly rate x hours you worked on the cake.

For the sake of easy math I am using round numbers:
cost of cake including absolutely everything: $30
hourly rate: $15 hours invested in the cake: 4 total of $60 for labor

Total for cake: $90

According to wilton an 8" round will serve 24 people. $90/24 servings is $3.75/serving.

Now, you will plug your own numbers in to get the real total for the cake.

And before someone posts that a 6" tall cake will feed more than 24 people because the serving chart is for a 4" tall cake - I know. But for the ease of math I stuck with 24 servings.

OP: When people call you can either say the cake is $90 (or whatever you end up calculating) or $3.75/serving and the cake in the picture feeds 24. This will depend on the client calling you. I mostly get calls for weddings and people are use to small cake pieces at weddings. So when I say the smallest 3 tier cake I offer (10", 8" and 6" round) serves 75 they are fine with that. But when I get a call for a birthday cake and I tell them an 8" round serves 24 they think I am insane because a birthday cake is usually served by the mom or friend who has no idea a piece of cake is 1" x 2" x 4". Keep that in mind when talking with customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%