Friday Night Cake Club 6/15/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 2:54pm by Zakared

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:17am
post #1 of 22

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? Whatcha workin on???

Cat

21 replies
catlharper Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:20am
post #2 of 22

I'm working on a Steampunk Father's Day cake. I have the pieces done that need to stand up on the cake, cake is made, fondant is made, buttercream made...just waiting to put it all together tomorrow. There will be more detail work that needs to be done but those pieces have to be soft so they bend so that's all last minute stuff. Hopefully this cake will come out like I hope it will!!! Due Sunday night so I'm hoping I can figure it all out...learning as I go with some of it. Fortunately my only guides are "feeds 10 and it's Steampunk" LOL! So I can redesign on the fly if need be.

What's up with all of you guys??

Cat

bethw5774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethw5774 Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:55am
post #3 of 22

Hi all! So, one cake ready to decorate and one ready to go in the oven and Pfffffft.... no electric!!! Gonna be a fun night.

catlharper Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:59am
post #4 of 22

Oh Wow...you lost your electricity!?! Loss of A/C and electric are my two nightmares!

bethw5774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethw5774 Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:03am
post #5 of 22

Hopefully not for long. On the other hand we do need the rain! lol

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:22am
post #6 of 22

I am working in wedding cake # 3 for the year. 4 tier round white cake with some black blossom flowers. Bride has also requested a 10 " square mother-in-law birthday cake as well, with black and white cascading type flowers. I took the opportunity to try out some ruffle flowers for the first time! The square cake is buttercream...EEEKK. I haven't done a buttercream cake in a veery long time! Looks good so far, just hope I do not accidentally poke it!!

catlharper Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:32am
post #7 of 22

That's me next week! I'll be working hard on a wedding cake all week long that has lots of details and flowers. You seem to have your hands really full. And, yes, I'm happy my wedding cake is fondant...have to drive it 150 miles the venue and would rather not do that with a buttercream cake!

Cat

Brettley Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:44am
post #8 of 22

The wedding cake itself is fondant, the birthdy cake is buttercream! So thank goodness for that! I do have a buttercream one August 11th for 300 people. I am stressing about that already!

Post pics of the wedding cake from next weekend, I will be sure to keep an eye out for it! It sounds like it will be beautiful.

This one is going 200kms, I am from Canada, so 150 miles, is that about the same? It sure is stressful driving these cakes around! If only all drivers could drive like they are transporting a cake! A lot less accidents I am sure.

catlharper Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:59am
post #9 of 22

It is going to be gorgeous...Tiffany blue with white accents and a black filigree inital topper. Each tier is a different shape and decorated differently, from words to quilting to piping accents. I have known the Bride since she was a little girl so I was honored when she chose me to make her cake. We get to attend the wedding as well which I totally love! I will definitely be posting photos!

And yes, I think that's the same distance! I have a Cake Safe so it makes it easier and we have a "cake route" that we take for delivery in that area but I still don't breathe till we get it on the table! LOL!

I love it when you guys post your photos here later in the week so make sure to put your cakes up here!

Cat

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:11am
post #10 of 22

Lots of preping for father's day at work. I only did two cakes as one of them took up a lot of my time.

Someone ordered my impressionist cake I did 3 years ago, and I'm so happy with how my decorating has improved over the years.

the other cake

Brettley Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:12am
post #11 of 22

Oh man I am soo jealous. Someday..........*sigh*

That sounds gorgeous. I will post photos for sure.

catlharper Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:14am
post #12 of 22

Meg!! They are gorgeous! I can JUST imagine how much time that impressionist cake took you! Wonderful detail!

Cat

catlharper Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:55am
post #13 of 22

Gonna head to bed! Hope to see a lot more photos of cakes over the next few days here and I will share mine with all of you early next week too!

Cat

MissionCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissionCity Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 6:07am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by megpi

Someone ordered my impressionist cake I did 3 years ago, and I'm so happy with how my decorating has improved over the years.

That. Is. Awesome! I love your Starry Night cake -- that inspires me!

I'm working on two two-year-old birthday cake, one with a Barney theme (ack) and one with a cute farm theme. The Barney one is basically done, and may be the brightest color scheme I've ever worked with. I think my retinas are burning. Hope it isn't featured on Cake Wrecks -- lol! I'll finish the farm cake tomorrow.

Charity

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 22

I made a carousel cake for the top of a cupcake stand with matching cupcakes for the stand. It was a carnival theme.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 12:16am
post #16 of 22

Hi , from the land of Oz ,

I had a last minute cake this week , one of my niece's friends wanted a birthday cake for her daughter.
I had to recreate a cake from a picture in a children's book. It was actually a fun cake to do.
I made shortbread biscuits as part of the decoration. So I will have nice shortbread to offer my guests with coffee in the next couple of weeks.

It was just picked up and the lady insisted on giving me more money than what she had already paid. So it was a nice day to be cake decorator and be appreciated.

WOW at the impressionist cake . That is just totally amazing.

I will post photos of my cake later when I have had some rest.
Happy Caking.

catlharper Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 12:45am
post #17 of 22

LOL Charity, I feel the same way about Barney!

Here is the link to the Steampunk Father's Day cake! I was very happy how it turned out!

Cat

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2349381/steampunk-fathers-day-cake

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 2:28am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettley

This one is going 200kms, I am from Canada, so 150 miles, is that about the same? It sure is stressful driving these cakes around! If only all drivers could drive like they are transporting a cake! A lot less accidents I am sure.

Make yourself some large yellow signs that say "cake delivery on board". Just buy yellow foamcore at your local art supply and a wide chisel felt pen. Print in the biggest letters you can fit.

Tape this to the sides and rear of the car. You will get smiles as people pass...

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 9:16am
post #19 of 22

I love the steam punk cake , Cat . I will admit my ignorance in not really knowing what "steam punk " meant though.

Here is a pic of my cake . Image

the decorations on top are made out of homemade shortbread that I iced with fondant. It was a vanilla cake , with lemon and rose buttercream , and covered in fondant.
By the photos posted on facebook the recipient loved it.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 9:37am
post #20 of 22

Buckingham palace started! hope it turns out like I see it in my head! lol

catlharper Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:31pm
post #21 of 22

Chelle! That is SOOOO cute! Totally love the idea of decorating with decorated cookies!

As for Steampunk...it's a movement that is sort of based on Jules Verne and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea book. Victorian and Futuristic at the same time with sea monsters thrown in. LOL! Totally fun to make! Thanx!

Cat

Zakared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zakared Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:54pm
post #22 of 22

Megpi....how did you get the scrollwork on your cake so even and smooth? And the impressionist cake...truly a marvel! LOVE THEM BOTH!

Kathleen icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%