Best Black Fondant For Covering Cake

Decorating By punkyf Updated 16 Jun 2012 , 6:49pm by jesika3434

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:23am
post #1 of 23

I have to cover a 10" round cake with black fondant. I'm not sure whether to make my own or buy it. I have only used black fondant that I have made for accenting cakes. It was a little hard to work with. I'm not sure if it would have been good for covering a whole cake.

Any help would be appreciated. My grandson is set on black.

22 replies
JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:31am
post #2 of 23

I like using the Duff fondant to cover cakes. It is very easy to work with.

dillonsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillonsmimi Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:33am
post #3 of 23

I try to steer my clients away from heavily color saturated icings 'cuz IMHO it just ends up tasting bitter.
If you just cannot get around it, purchase it already colored .
Way less headache and ingredient wastage.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:39am
post #4 of 23

A great easy way to make black is to buy the Wilton Chocolate fondant. It takes only a small amount of Americolor black to get it to be black. Add the black food coloring until it's kind of a funky grey and then just wrap it and let it rest for a couple of hours and it will darken up. Wilton choc fondant taste a lot better than the white fondant and you can buy it in a medium box at Michaels.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 1:40am
post #5 of 23

Duffs black and red really does taste good. I haven,t tried the taste of wilton black or red fondant.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 1:41am
post #6 of 23

I use Satin Ice Black. It's great to work with and keeps its color.

punkyf Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:16am
post #7 of 23

Thanks for the replies. I only hope Michael's or Joann's carries some of these fondants. I'm not crazy about using fondant but black buttercream would take a lot of black coloring. Not sure how that would taste either.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:26am
post #8 of 23

Don't go for black buttercream. I did it for 1 cake and it was hysterical. Everyone's teeth were black and it does taste bitter even if you start with choc buttercream.

punkyf Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:55am
post #9 of 23

That's funny sillywabbits. I wouldn't want that to happen. I'm pretty sure I can get the chocolate Wilton fondant but I can only get the wilton black gel. I would have to order the Americolor if I use it.

punkyf Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:56am
post #10 of 23

Sorry, I meant sillywabbitz.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 3:20am
post #11 of 23

I use Satin Ice and love it. You would have to buy it at a specialty cake shop or online though. They don't sell it at Michaels or Joanns, not around here anyway.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 3:30am
post #12 of 23

Duff's isn't bad tasting and is easy to work with. I tried black Fondx and it was absolutely disgusting. It smelled and tasted like pure chemicals.

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 9:19am
post #13 of 23

I use black fondarific, but have also used Duff's. They are both very easy to work with & my clients like the taste icon_smile.gif I order the fondarific online (Amazon) & I pick up Duff's at Walmart.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 10:51am
post #14 of 23

Duff's is Fondarific. That's what I use.

If you need dark buttercream, cover your cake in natural buttercream, refrigerate it, then skim coat it in the dark color. You use way less coloring and the chances of turning teeth dark is less.

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 12:04pm
post #15 of 23

Wilton has come out with a 2 lb box of black fondont. I love it. It's as easy to use as Wilton's white fondont.

JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 23

Michael's sells Duff's fondant icon_smile.gif

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 23

I only use Sarin Ice but use their Dark Chocolate fondant if I need black. Only takes a few drops of color to make it dark enough. Tastes like fudge brownies to me!

punkyf Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 3:09pm
post #18 of 23

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. My grandson, who will be 6 at the end of July, has been looking at cakecentral for weeks trying to figure out what he wants. Seems like they never pick anything easy. I have never covered a round cake with fondant so I guess I will be learning something new.

punkyf

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 8:14pm
post #19 of 23

Duff's black (Fondarific) using a coupon for Michael's, for me.

You'll be able to roll it fairly thin, even as a novice, fix slight dings with the warmth of your hand, and fiddle with it longer than with other fondants. Tastes very good, too.

Warm it slightly on 30% power in the microwave for 10 seconds. Be careful rolling it. They suggest powdered sugar, but I find it can dull the surface if it gets on it and buffing with another piece of the fondant doesn't fix the dullness it creates. I also haven't found that spraying it with Everclear fixes that issue, either. Maybe a bit of cocoa powder would help.

Rae

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 10:22pm
post #20 of 23

I keep Duff's dark brown and black on hand. Tastes great but those two colors are such a pain to make by hand.

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 4:12am
post #21 of 23

Good to know fondarific & Duff's are one in the same..I wonderedwhy they seemed exactly the same! icon_biggrin.gif

dillonsmimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillonsmimi Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 11:45am
post #22 of 23

Did not know that Duff used Fondarific as his go to for his craft line.
Not surprised.
It is pricey, but IMO by far the best fondant available to the home baker.
Rolls so thin that I used only 5 lbs to top a 14, 10, 8, 6 round wedding cake.
It stays moist and stop me if I am crazy here... it absorbs some of the BC crumb coat.
I have cut quite a few cakes covered with it and alot if not all of the bc was gone.
Most important it really tastes great, even leftover from fridge was still moist.

mimi

jesika3434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesika3434 Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 6:49pm
post #23 of 23

I use wilton chocolate fondant mixed with Duff's black fondant. I just add black gel coloring after I mix them together. You can see the Harley cake I did in my album. Duff's is too expensive and tastes good while Wilton is cheaper and tastes ok ( I always use coupons). For accents, you cant use Duff's because it will never get hard!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%