Frosting Is Too Stiff?

Decorating By ibeeflower Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 9:59pm by dchinda

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

I have used Sugarshacks shortening based recipe for frosting cakes. It tastes good, and people seem to like it. The only thing is that I find it very stiff so when I ice a cake the frosting wont stick to the cake evenly. I then have to smooth it with a hot spatula. Should I use more liquid to thin it out a little?

Thanks,
Flower

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 9

Yes. My BC is always the consistency of stiff whipped cream when I spread it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 9

As Annie said, just add a bit more liquid to make a softer icing. I would do that to just enough icing to cover the cake - not the whole batch. (usually that would be about 1/2 to 2/3rd of a batch.)

ibeeflower Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

As Annie said, just add a bit more liquid to make a softer icing. I would do that to just enough icing to cover the cake - not the whole batch. (usually that would be about 1/2 to 2/3rd of a batch.)

Ohh I see what you are saying. I would only add liquid to how much frosting I will be using. That makes sense. I'll have to try that out.

Thank you!

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 9

are you sifting your sugar? your cups need to be measured light and sifted not packed. you can fix it with corn syrup, it will make it smoother and bits of water at a time but it don't really solve the problem. I strongly belive you are using too much sugar.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

are you sifting your sugar? your cups need to be measured light and sifted not packed. you can fix it with corn syrup, it will make it smoother and bits of water at a time but it don't really solve the problem. I strongly belive you are using too much sugar.

Sharon Zambito's recipes call for pounds of powdered sugar, not cups. That's not to say someone may not be measuring out cups if they don't have a scale, but it would be very easy to just use a 4# bag, or 2 2# or 3 2# bags for her recipes. If you need 5# of PS, then a person can weigh out what they need or measure out 4 cups or even eyeball half of a 2# bag.

But with regards to the OP's question, I find just adding a bit more of the creamer liquid will usually help with getting the icing to the correct consistency. I like her recipe too and use it often.

ibeeflower Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

No I don't sift when I am making frosting. I don't have the recipe handy so I am not sure if it calls for cups or pounds. I can try that.

ibeeflower Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_789

Quote:

Sharon Zambito's recipes call for pounds of powdered sugar, not cups. That's not to say someone may not be measuring out cups if they don't have a scale, but it would be very easy to just use a 4# bag, or 2 2# or 3 2# bags for her recipes. If you need 5# of PS, then a person can weigh out what they need or measure out 4 cups or even eyeball half of a 2# bag.

But with regards to the OP's question, I find just adding a bit more of the creamer liquid will usually help with getting the icing to the correct consistency. I like her recipe too and use it often.

I'll try adding more of the creamer. I think it helps with the taste too. icon_smile.gif Gives it a unique taste.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 9

You should always sift your PS when you are making your BC. It will make the frosting lighter & smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%