Cake Blowing Out On The Sides! Help!

Decorating By heartofoklahoma Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 8:48pm by kakeladi

heartofoklahoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartofoklahoma Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 3:51am
post #1 of 7

Hello, I was needing help on a problem that occures a lot on my cakes. I have, what I call, blow outs! Not the bulging in the middle of the cake where the cake is filled. But the blow outs I am talking about can happen anywhere on my cakes! I let the cake rest overnight, fill and crumb coat the next day. After the crumb coat dries, I start icing and decorating. The cake gets finished and looks wonderful. Then hours later or next morning on delivery day, I have an OMG moment, because I have blow outs. The cake icing is bulging with a huge air pocket. I try to tap the icing back down and I can feel the air under neath. Sometimes I have to scrape the icing off and redo it. Sometimes I can get away with poking a pinhole in. Sometimes there is nothing I can do besides redo it! Anyone ever have this problem? Any and all info is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

6 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:01am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like to much air getting into your butter cream while you are making it. Make sure your ingredients completely cover you paddle on your mixer this helps limit the amount of air being mixed into the frosting. Try making a double batch of frosting and see if this helps. You can always freeze your leftovers.

heartofoklahoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartofoklahoma Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you sweettreat! I do make a double batch and it does cover my paddle. icon_sad.gif
Its not a bubble in the icing. Its an air pocket between the cake and the icing. When I peel the icing back, you can see the cake and the icing is not even touching it. icon_sad.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 7

Are you icing the cake while it's cold? Are you using a shortening/powdered sugar based recipe? I see these threads a lot during hotter weather and with those types of recipes. I would ice the cake at room temperature and refrigerate after it's finished being decorated.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 7

stick a wooden dowel down into the the top of the tier all the way to the bottom and pull it back out leaving a hole. This will allow the air to escape through the hole instead of the sides of your cake. Then you can take you smoother and press against the bubble. The air will go out the hole made from the dowel. When all the air is out, cover the hole with decoration or icing.

I cover most of my cakes with fondant and I've had air bubbles like this. It has worked for me several times. Sometimes I make the hole right after crumb coating just to ensure I don't get any bubbles.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 7

After you put the finish coat of icing on, run the edge of your spatula between the cardboard and the cake to "break the seal." You won't get bubbles forming. You will need to use a bottom border or ribbon to cover the bottom edge of the tier.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 7

the biggest reason for blowouts is you are not putting enough pressure to the icing when applying/smoothing it to the cake.
It usually happens to the smallest tiers - like 6"ers. You know what it's like to ice them - they tend to skoot around.
Though I have never tried it (haven't had to) Leah's suggestion sounds like a good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%