Coffee Cup - Cupcakes

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 18 Jun 2012 , 6:54pm by shanter

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 14

I'm trying to come up with some ideas for my friends "coffee inspired" bridal shower. I thought about providing cupcakes for the shower...To keep things easy for me <big cake week that week> rather than fondant cover cupcakes, etc i was hoping to bake the cupcakes into actual teacups (or if need be put a standard cupcake into the cup after baking) & decorate from there. Does anyone know where I can get super cheap cups? I will need about 20.

I was going to hit up the dollar store tomorrow but I have a feeling all i will find are standard coffee cup design - id like to find something a little more like a feminine design/ teacup. All white would rock but I made the invites using different pastels so we could have some color/ pattern if need be. Also... the cheap the better!!!

13 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

I'm trying to come up with some ideas for my friends "coffee inspired" bridal shower. I thought about providing cupcakes for the shower...To keep things easy for me <big cake week that week> rather than fondant cover cupcakes, etc i was hoping to bake the cupcakes into actual teacups (or if need be put a standard cupcake into the cup after baking) & decorate from there. Does anyone know where I can get super cheap cups? I will need about 20.

I was going to hit up the dollar store tomorrow but I have a feeling all i will find are standard coffee cup design - id like to find something a little more like a feminine design/ teacup. All white would rock but I made the invites using different pastels so we could have some color/ pattern if need be. Also... the cheap the better!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET6OO2/?tag=cakecentral-20

I LOVE THESE! My daughter got the green set at a girls' tea party at our church. If you keep them, they are economical, but they gave them to the girls.
unce-Porcelain/dp/B004GXAAK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339618016&sr=8-1" target="_blank" class="postlink">http://www.amazon.com/Gracie-China-Chintz-icon_eek.gifunce-Porcelain/dp/B004GXAAK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339618016&sr=8-1

CiNoRi Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ET6OO2/?tag=cakecentral-20

I LOVE THESE! My daughter got the green set at a girls' tea party at our church. If you keep them, they are economical, but they gave them to the girls.
unce-Porcelain/dp/B004GXAAK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339618016&sr=8-1" target="_blank" class="postlink">http://www.amazon.com/Gracie-China-Chintz-icon_eek.gifunce-Porcelain/dp/B004GXAAK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339618016&sr=8-1

I love that second link. They would go well since the invite is a coffee cup made of flowers.... but unfortunately they are just too pricey icon_sad.gif <this will most likely be given away in lue of favors> and I'm probably going to have no help with the cake cost, also im doing her bachelorette cake for later that night.... soooooo I really have to be cheap on this ;-(

If anyone has any other ideas other than the cups themselves I'm open to your thoughts... i just figured if could find some cups to work i would really save me on time icon_wink.gif

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 14

How about hitting some second hand stores and getting a variety of different coffee cups (tea cups)? I see them there all the time, and they are pretty inexpensive.

CiNoRi Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

How about hitting some second hand stores and getting a variety of different coffee cups (tea cups)? I see them there all the time, and they are pretty inexpensive.

Yeah, I just thought about that... I will definitely give it a shot!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 14

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tuxton-tre-044-4-oz-american-white-ivory-eggshell-chinese-asian-tea-cup-36-cs/303TRE044%20%20%20IV.html

Maybe you could use decorative foil liners and do a little fake gumpaste, candy or chocolate "handle" you could poke in the top, and let hang over the side?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 4:56am
post #7 of 14

Those more fancy cups and saucers are sought after by collectors and do not come cheap. Anna's link is cheaper than any you will find, even in a second hand store. Those people know the value.

CiNoRi Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

Thanks again for the idea, I figured it would be nice to try and find 25, and was ok with finding even partial of what i needed, doing the rest in simple cupcakes.....

I hit up 2 places today and found almost enough! I'm shy 5 or 6, but have plenty of time to look more. AAAAAAAND I only spent a whopping $3.50 total! My first find of 5 from the Salvation Army was .50 a cup... theeen i hit the mother load at another local shop at .10 each! LOL

debidehm Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 5:53am
post #9 of 14

I thought the second hand stores would be a great idea! I just went to one in my area the other day and saw some really pretty (and fancy) teacups that were really nice for .49 cents! Glad you found what you were looking for!

debidehm Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 5:57am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Those more fancy cups and saucers are sought after by collectors and do not come cheap. Anna's link is cheaper than any you will find, even in a second hand store. Those people know the value.

So much for that theory!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 9:04am
post #11 of 14

Even in my WV area, the Goodwill store has about $5.00 on those things. And forget about the antique stores.

I was referring to china cups.

I wanted to start a business serving afternoon tea for showers, etc. There was a lady in town who did it successfuly for years about 20 years ago. But my biggest obstacle is the cups/saucers, about $20 to $30 each for mismatched china cups in pretty patterns. Ebay is priced the same as antique shops.

Ceramic cups are cheap, here too.

debidehm Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 14

The ones I saw were tea cups with flowers on them. They weren't antique, but looked as though they could be....just had that "look", and were .49 cents. They looked kind of like the picture I've attached.
LL

CiNoRi Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 14

CUTE!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 6:54pm
post #14 of 14

The china tea cups are $0.49 at my local thrift stores too. They aren't the valuable ones (Shelley, Royal Doulton, etc.) but they're pretty. Well, most of them anyway. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%