Are There Non Fruit Cakes That Last Up To A Month????

Decorating By rosech Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 1:12am by BakingIrene

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 5

Are there any cakes that are not fruit cakes that will last a month? People from my country hardly eat their wedding cake at the reception. Tiers are distributed to chosen few. Eg a tier to POB, another to POG, another to pastor, couple etc depending on what the couple can afford. Others will eat foil wrapped bite sizes if they manage to get some. I have a couple who cannot afford fruit cake yet they want something that will last a month. The norm is to do a fruit cake and each person will keep their tier for a while whilst eating a bit at a time. Is there something that is not fruit cake that will last for a month. I told the groom that I can not promise anything but will find out. Does stout cake last for a while? Also can I replace the Guinness with brandy in stout cake recipe? I have done it before with our home cake but not with the exact brandy to beer proportions plus it was not required to be special or anything. I have to highlight that there is electricity load shedding that happens regularly.

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

Are you asking about leftover cake that is left out at room temperature for over a month or frozen?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 5

Can you use a fruitcake recipe without the fruit and nuts? Or cut down drastically on the amount of fruit and nuts? That would cut the costs, I expect.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 5

I would just tell them that it has to be wrapped well and kept in the freezer to last that long. I don't know of any other style of cake other than fruit cake that would last that long and not dry out or go bad.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 1:12am
post #5 of 5

A fruitcake without the fruit or nuts would be a poundcake.

I have stored very lightly fruited cakes for a few months at 20C room temperature. Very lightly fruited means that for 500 grams of butter, you use 200-400 grams of one kind (candied ginger is very good this way).

After giving it two doses of the same alcohol as your fruitcake, and being well covered with marzipan and plastic icing, it should be shelf stable for a month. The texture will change over that time in the same way that fruitcake texture changes...people have told me that it is an improvement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%