Pheasant Cake Help!

Decorating By Bex1p Updated 16 Jun 2012 , 3:35pm by Bex1p

Bex1p Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bex1p Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 10:50am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I have just started out making cakes and although I am quite confident with most cakes, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one!

The look I am going for is a seated pheasant with long feather tails. My problem areas are the head and tail. How would I make the head and attach it? I was thinking a large cake pop bird head shaped covered in chocolate to hold the shape then attached to the body somehow and covered in fondant. Would that work?

For the tail feathers I was going to use florist wire using 2 layers of fondant either side and let them dry for a few days. I'm just not sure either idea will work!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

4 replies
thebittersweetbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebittersweetbakehouse Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 10:47am
post #2 of 5

That sounds like an amazing cake!

Ive never made a cake like this before, but personally i think id make the head separately out of cereal treats, cover with modelling fondant then paint it....i'd try and attach a stick while the cereal treats sets and set it in polystyrene or florist foam so you can paint and dry from all sides without setting it down....

I have used feathers on a cake....but i went to a lovely shop that actually designs and makes them.....i figured no one would want to eat big lumps of fondant stuck on wire really, so i just used the real feathers with the end covered in florist tape.

Hope this may help a little!
LL

Bex1p Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 7:45am
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your reply, great ideas! That is a lovely cake and your right, I never did understand using fondant on the end of wires for things people won't eat when you may as well use the real thing if you can!

thebittersweetbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebittersweetbakehouse Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 8:20am
post #4 of 5

Ah thanks....maybe have a look online for some of the lovely green/blue feathers pheasants have, you can then base your other paint/fondant colours for the pheasant body around that.

Make sure you post a pic when you've finished!!

Happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

Bex1p Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 5

Finally finished! Didn't go too adventurous with it but I'm pleased with the outcome. Have uploaded a couple of pics. Ended up using a Mikado stick to secure the fondant head![/img]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%