New Here With Questions!

Decorating By jess0514 Updated 13 Jun 2012 , 7:26am by sweettreat101

jess0514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess0514 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, sorry if its not. This is my 1st time on this site, a friend told me this is the place to go for all things cake. I'm planning on making a cake using fondant for my son's birthday in July. I have never worked with it, so I'm going to start practicing now! I was told to get satin ice fondant, a mat, fondant rolling pin, a smoother. Anything else? I'll try to attach a picture of the cake, if anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it! I tried looking for pans today but didnt have any luck- (any certain pan I should get) this needs to feed 40 or so people.

thanks
LL

7 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 8

That is a really cute cake!!

As for the fondant end of things...
I personally hate Satin Ice fondant. I think it is hard to work with because it dries really fast. So if you are knew to fondant, you won't be working fast, and I think you will get really frustrated. Do you have a Michael's by you? If so, I suggest you try Duff's fondant. It is not the brand I use in my day to day fondant needs (I have to have the fondant I use shipped to me and it is $$) but Duff's brand is basically the same texture and taste of the one I use and it is local to buy.

Are you covering the cake in fondant or just using fondant for the decorations? If you are covering the cake in fondant I would recommend icing the cake in white chocolate ganache. I use that under all my fondant cakes. It holds up the weight of fondant, endures heat and helps cut the sweetness of fondant.

I don't use the mat. Those that do swear by it, but if you are not planning on using fondant often, it might not be worth the cost.

Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 8

Let me first start by saying welcome to CC.

The supplies that you need can be found at most craft stores, ie. Micheals, Hobby Lobby etc. They sell everything that you will need to make this cake. They don't sell everything, but the things you need for this paticular cake they will have.
You will need fondant, Wilton will do, I would think that one package of the multi colored fondant would work well if you are going to ice in buttercream and not cover in fondant. I agree with cai0311, you don't need the mat.
Anyone correct me, but it looks like that cake is a 6" and a 8", so those would be the size pans that you would need to purchase., or you could do an 8" and 10" that would give you 48 servings. You will also need a cake board for the size of cakes that you are doing 6"=6" board, Put your bottom cake on a larger cake board like in the picture, but whatever size your top cake is, is the size board that you will need for the top one. You will also need some dowels or bubble straws or the plastic dowels. Watch stacking videos on youtube.

Hope this helps and Good luck with the cake!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 8

Looks like a 6/9 to me. I personally LOVE Satin Ice. It does not dry out for me. You do have to knead it for a while before using it. I also like (a lot) PettinIce. It is softer and I think a little more difficult for beginners, but you may like it.

a 6/9 = 44 servings
a 6/10 = 51 servings

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 8

I think a lot depends on if you think you will go into this more seriously then a one off cake otherwise it would probably be cheaper to order the cake.
Saying that, Magic Line are the best pans out there - worth every penny.
I have the Mat and I hate it, it has been designated to a corner where I don't have to see it mocking me for not working out how to use it properly!
I make my own fondant so can't help you with bought ones.
As the previous posters have written you can get most stuff at Michaels. I always do a big shop there when I am over in the States.
Good luck!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:00am
post #6 of 8

If you are buying your supplies at Michael's I would go for the Duff fondant...Wilton fondant may be easier for you to work with, but it tastes awful....Duff tastes a bit better. But I also prefer Satin Ice or Fondx fondant.

Good luck with your cake... icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 1:36am
post #7 of 8

If you do end up using Wilton fondant because it's easy to find and easy to work with but not the best tasting, you can add flavoring to it. I find for most cakes adding a bit of lemon flavor to it really improves the taste. I like the duff but it can get soft so if I use the Duff, I usually add a bit of wilton to make it more workable. Good luck with your cakeicon_smile.gif It's adorable. You can search youtube for videos on covering cakes and also stacking cakes.
My personal favorite videos are at www.sugaredproductions.com . The Perfecting the Art of Buttercream and Flawless Fondant are great as is the stacking DVD. Just some additional things to check out.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 7:26am
post #8 of 8

I personally don't like Satin Ice. Wilton is easy to work with but as someone else said it doesn't taste that great. I like Fondx fondant it is so easy to work with. Fondarific is good a lot of different flavors and colors to choose from but I found it to be a little soft. I also like Marshmallow fondant it's inexpensive to make and easy to work with. This is my favorite MMF recipe so far except I don't use the butter I use 1/4cup shortening. Just make sure you grease your bowl and beater with shortening if you plan on making MMF or it will stick. I like to add five to six drops of flavored candy oil to my MMF. Some people have said that Duffs fondant is actually Fondarific but I haven't tried it. Michael's has a 50% off coupon this week if you want to try it out. http://dealspl.us/michaels-coupons/442889p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%