91 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:04am
post #2 of 92

... that's not Duff. icon_rolleyes.gif

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:06am
post #3 of 92

That link is not Duff, it Buddy from Cake Boss.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:11am
post #4 of 92

LOL!!! icon_lol.gif
You can tell I'm clueless huh? Sorry I don't watch ANY cake shows so I had no clue, I just went by what the emailer sent me. I'll edit the title icon_biggrin.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:12am
post #5 of 92

OOPS.....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:42am
post #6 of 92

Yep. As if it isn't bad enough having to tell people that grocery stores & Costco AREN'T our competition, now we'll have to tell them that we don't see THESE eye-burning creations as comparable to our cakes, either.

They look like 8" rounds, maybe 3" tall? Retailing for $28. Mass produced, kindergarten decorated.........I guess not too bad, but still not CUSTOM.

I can't tell from the blurbs if these will be frozen, refrigerated, or "fresh" to the customer.

Eh.

Rae

vgcea Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:42am
post #7 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

OOPS.....

You should've seen my face like, "Uh *blank stare* they're not the same person?" icon_surprised.gif Then I remembered the face of the guy plastered all over tubs of fondant at Michaels icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

vgcea Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:46am
post #8 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Yep. As if it isn't bad enough having to tell people that grocery stores & Costco AREN'T our competition, now we'll have to tell them that we don't see THESE eye-burning creations as comparable to our cakes, either.

They look like 8" rounds, maybe 3" tall? Retailing for $28. Mass produced, kindergarten decorated.........I guess not too bad, but still not CUSTOM.

I can't tell from the blurbs if these will be frozen, refrigerated, or "fresh" to the customer.

Eh.

Rae

Yeah, my response to the person who sent me the link was: These cakes are in no way comparable to the masterpieces these talents produce. His name is on it but it's not his fancy work so folks shouldn't expect fancy cakes for cheap because there's a Cake Boss cake for $27.99 at Wal-Mart

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 2:58am
post #9 of 92

Interesting idea...it certainly won't cannibalize his primary product line, but the design (while obviously not remotely comparable) is probably good enough for people who want something a little better than a grocery store cake but can't afford a custom cake.

This midmarket customer segment is often looked down upon here, but it has a lot of potential since it is so underserved.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 3:35am
post #10 of 92

I,m a little confused. The title of the thread is about buddy"s cakes (cakeboss) coming to stores. It doesn,t say anthing about Duff. Vgcea was correct in the name, Duff isn,t called cakeboss. Buddy is. Can someone help me out please. Or am i reading it all wrong?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 3:50am
post #11 of 92

I imagine they are made at the new big shiny facility they spent so much time plugging on the last season of Cake Boss and the Last Great Baker, and coming to a freezer near you.

To me the pricing is right on mark - and honestly I'd totally buy one if I ever saw it in a store. Although I don't know how anyone can eat icing with that much food color and not stain poo for a week, but whatever. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 3:53am
post #12 of 92

He has been building that massive plant for a reason. I say good for him. He's a marketing genius.

I believe online mail order is in the works too.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:02am
post #13 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Although I don't know how anyone can eat icing with that much food color and not stain poo for a week, but whatever. icon_biggrin.gif

OMG too funny! I laughed out loud at this!

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:11am
post #14 of 92

Meh, grocery store cakes at best, with basic decorationing. No skills required to produce these cakes. And the icing is bulging on the green cake where it shows it sliced.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:15am
post #15 of 92

I agree, good for Buddy! A person who wants to spend $27 or $30 isn't going to add another zero (or more) and suddenly spend $270 or $300. It fills a niche and unless it's really bad, it will probably do great (at least for a while.)

You don't have to love Buddy (or Martha Stewart or Lady GaGa for that matter) to appreciate their business and marketing sense. It takes all kinds ladies and gentlemen, and you can learn from people's successes as much as their failures. After all, isn't that what CC is all about !! I like to think so! I get great ideas and support from people who don't even know it all the time!

vgcea Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:20am
post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I,m a little confused. The title of the thread is about buddy"s cakes () coming to stores. It doesn,t say anthing about Duff. Vgcea was correct in the name, Duff isn,t called . Buddy is. Can someone help me out please. Or am i reading it all wrong?

Hehehe! No you're right. I was wrong so I fixed the title.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:26am
post #17 of 92

Omg, that icing looks disgusting with all that color! I bet it's bitter. Doesn't it just come out of a bucket? Bleh!! And man, THEY SHO IS UUUGGGLLLYYYYYY!

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:43am
post #18 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

He has been building that massive plant for a reason. I say good for him. He's a marketing genius.

I agree, he is using his 15 minutes or more of fame to make money. It won't last forever so he should take advantage now, On the show you see hundreds of people lined up to buy things, I don't know if that's just on show days or not, but regardless it's impressive and he seems like a good guy. He even got upset when he had to fire his pain in the A manager who is his sister.

scp1127 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:22am
post #19 of 92

Oh no, SoFlo, I have to disagree. I have read his biography. That man is a marketing genius. His fame preceeded that show. The show found him because of how he and his father had taken a hometown bakery to such a high level.

The entire family, each child and the mother, were upper income before the show solely through income from that one bakery. He didn't need TLC. TLC needed him.

Of course, the show has added additional income, but the lines were around the block and the cakes were at a premium long before the show.

I agree with theresaf. I don't necessarily like some of the celebrity chefs, but they all give great business tips if you listen close enough.

I read Buddy's first book when it first came out. There were some financial gems in there for me. I have put into practice some of his methods and tips and I have made money directly because of them. The first season of the show was more informative. Even "The Next Great Baker", a show I really don't like, will have some good information now and then. Again, more in the first season.

vgcea Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 6:52am
post #20 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I read Buddy's first book when it first came out. There were some financial gems in there for me. I have put into practice some of his methods and tips and I have made money directly because of them. The first season of the show was more informative. Even "The Next Great Baker", a show I really don't like, will have some good information now and then. Again, more in the first season.

Pray tell, what is this book called?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 7:03am
post #21 of 92

Did anyone else find this quote ironic:

'What makes me unique is my designs,' he told The Associated Press.

You know, in the context of the release of a line of cakes which will all look exactly the same as each other?

scp1127 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 7:34am
post #22 of 92
soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 8:19am
post #23 of 92

I imagine people in the sub $30 cake market will love these bright little gems.
...and don't people like to drop names that someone in their crowd might be impressed by....."it is a Cake Boss cake". icon_rolleyes.gif
Party invites should say "wear black clothing in case of spillage"

JaniceBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaniceBest Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 11:05am
post #24 of 92

I think it's funny that every time the words cake boss are used, they link to the software.

Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 4:53pm
post #25 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

And the icing is bulging on the green cake where it shows it sliced.

I saw that too.

So does this mean that you can't create a cake that looks like that because it will be copywrite infringment?.....I can see it now...."I saw this mass produced cake by Buddy and wanted to know if you can make one for me?" icon_lol.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:13pm
post #26 of 92

I don't blame the guy for trying to get a bigger piece of the pie (or cake as it were), but his comment that what sets him apart is his 'designs' made me roll my eyes. I mean a border of buttercream flowers on one and a half-assed bunch of balloons on another? Wow, the creativity flowing from this guy is amazing! Who would have ever thought to put flowers or balloons on a cake? Genius! icon_lol.gif

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:20pm
post #27 of 92

Hmm well this price is okay I guess although I can get a grocery cake like this for $10US. Not a huge fan of the designs but it seems he wants to reach out to all the people across America that want to try a Carlos Bakery cake. From the reviews I have read online, I see there are lines for 2 blocks down just to get in to try one of his confections. Great for him! That tv has worked wonders for him and his store. I'm sure his father would be so proud.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:21pm
post #28 of 92

So I laughed out loud when I thought about this a little more. Usually we use someone like Buddy as an example of what those fancy cakes on tv cost. :"Didja know, they start at $1,000 and up????"

And now we can refer someone with little to no budget....to Buddy. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:36pm
post #29 of 92

How much do his really big fancy customized cakes go for? I watch all the episodes with the most recent being the Statue of Liberty and Venetian cake for the Bat mitzvah in Los Angelos. My word. I wonder how much that family paid for their little son's birthday cake with a real slots machine. Somehow those cakes look like $10,000 to $20,000US. I could be wrong but they have a lot of staff to pay for and that new big facility is a big expense. The only time I have ever seen a cake or baking company do that is to start mass producing cakes and confections. Plus Carlos Bakery looks like they have like 20 decorators. Probably another 20 baking and another set out front. They must charge thousands for their works of art!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 5:40pm
post #30 of 92

Thousands yes. I doubt the Statue of Liberty was actually paid for, but those private party ones, yeah.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%